First eggs

My isa brown started laying before any of my others, too! Does anyone know if eggs get larger the more the pullets mature? I’m getting one very large brown egg, but the other 3 I’m getting are significantly smaller. I’m pretty certain one is a bantam but my ameracauna is even much smaller than I thought it would be?

My 7 Barred Rocks I got as chicks from TSC August 17 started to lay first week of January, 20 weeks old.
All 7 were laying by 23 weeks..
20190211_095420.jpg

I got this egg from them, it weighed 7 grams.
20190210_142130.jpg

I have 5 ISA Browns 14 weeks old.
20200730_093736_resized_kindlephoto-10575345.jpg

GC

Does anyone know if eggs get larger the more the pullets mature?
Yes, my Golden Comets went from small to XL and Jumbo size before their first winter, early spring chicks.
My Barred Rocks, August chicks laid small to mostly medium size their first year, after molting 14 to 17 months old they regularly lay large and XL.
20200307_120819_resized.jpg

A dozen from my Barred Rocks and Golden Comet eggs from last March. GC

Last edited:
Yes, my Golden Comets went from small to XL and Jumbo size before their first winter, early spring chicks.
My Barred Rocks, August chicks laid small to mostly medium size their first year, after molting 14 to 17 months old they regularly lay large and XL. View attachment 2279241
A dozen from my Barred Rocks and Golden Comet eggs from last March. GC

Approximately how old were your GC when they started laying? Ours are coming up on 14 weeks, just curious if I should start getting boxes ready with golf balls and what not or if I should wait a couple more weeks

how old were your GC when they started laying
My first GC laid an egg at 16.5 weeks.
20160730_134940.jpg

She was in the nest for 35 minutes the egg weighed 43 grams.
20160730_134740.jpg

Here she is right after leaving the coop. It was a hot July 30.
Another pullet laid 2 days after. All 5 GCs were laying by 19 weeks.
20160828_113410.jpg

By September 6, egg size increased amazingly fast from most pullets to XL and Jumbo size.
20160906_103011.jpg

My 7 Barred Rocks rarely gave an XL their first year, mostly medium size with a few dozen large.
I would open/install nests with ceramic eggs or golf balls at 15 weeks. GC

Last edited:
My isa brown egg doubled in size overnight! I’m sure that’s not what really happened but that’s what it feels like. She’s my most reliable layer so far. My amerecauna size is improving...but still smaller than I expected.

does anyone have any idea if they might lay at night? I know it sounds ridiculous...but I went to open the coop at 7 this morning. I usually go around 6 but I slept in. The only one that ever lays before 7 is my isa brown. But this morning there were 2 blue eggs on the floor of the coop, both cracked...and under the roost bar. So now I’m concerned. Any ideas?

does anyone have any idea if they might lay at night?

this morning there were 2 blue eggs on the floor of the coop, both cracked...and under the roost bar.
Yes, mostly new layers, or starting laying after molt they can lay at night. I've found soft shelled, thin shelled, and hard shelled eggs under roosts.
Occasionally they'll drop an egg for no obvious reason, possibly something stressed them out. GC

Back
Top Bottom