first eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wowdaddy, Jul 21, 2010.

1. wowdaddy

wowdaddy New Egg

Oct 2, 2008
    I got my first eggs today. I have 6 chickens 3 Delawares, 2 buff Orpingtons (did I spell that right?) and a sex link/red star. 1 was brown and the other buff. They are sooooo small. About the size of a ping pong ball. I hope they will get bigger. Beatrice, the red star, Is the smallest of them all. I think she gave the brown one. Honey is a orpington and I think she gave the other. I handled them all a lot when they were chicks and now they are all wanting my attention every time i go in the pen. I come in the pen with plums too so I think they have figured out that i am coming in with something good. Peaches are good right now too and a bunch have fallen. Lucky chickens. I ate the eggs right away and noticed that they had a strong eggs flavor and were thicker. I have been giving the chickens chard that is starting to go to seed. I think it is bitter as i have not eaten any in a few months, since they started to seed. I am going to start to give them fresh greens to try to change that. I am sure the regular feed i give them is not doing that. It is just regular laying crumbles and scratch feed. NO MEAT, i don't get that. why you would give chickens any meat is just beyond me. Anyway I am so happy i am a chicken man now. Oh and Beatrice is the most beautiful bird. [​IMG]

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] Good for you!!! Beatrice sounds nice too. Do you have a pic of her? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  3. our 5 chickie babies

our 5 chickie babies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Congrats!!! We are newbies to chickens and are still waiting.Our girls are 14 weeks old so I might still have a few weeks.
    Have a good one!
    JIM&LINDY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by