first eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PapaChaz, Jul 12, 2011.

1. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    Back on March 8, we picked up 8 chicks @ TSC. All survived, and have grown very quickly! When we built the new coop, i designed it divided, so we could keep the lil ones separate from the big girls. So today, i went to check the feed, water and gather eggs, and i had 3 eggs on the chicks side of the coop! wooHOO. two were a bit smaller, i'm wondering if they'll get bigger as the hens continue to grow, two of them are a good bit smaller than the others. I'm going to have to get some pics of the chicks. these are sure enough mixed breeds, the two smaller eggs were very dark brown, almost like a copper maran colored egg. i'm ready to let them free range together for a few hours each evening and let them get things all worked out between them, they've been divided in the run also, but clearly able to see each other.

our 'boss hen' Lucy, might just get a good standing up to from a couple of those commercial blacks, those thing are only 4 months old and already bigger than she is...LOL we'll see

2. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    Congrats on your eggs. No if only my girls would take the hint and start laying. [​IMG]

3. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Same thing happened here ! I just don't know if it was a Golden Comet or one of my EE's. [​IMG]

4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Kinsey, wouldn't the egg colour tell you? Anyway, I read somewhere that Comets are very early layers, if that helps...

5. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Well, I bought "Ameracaunas", but they're actually just beautiful mutts [​IMG] One of them doesn't even look like an EE. She looks like a Delaware, maybe. She's always in the nesting box, as well as one of my Golden Comets. I hope it wasn't my EE because I want some pretty eggs! [​IMG] The egg was a very light brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by