first encounter

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Marion565, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Marion565

Marion565 Chillin' With My Peeps

Today around noon I went outside to see if my one laying chicken had already finished the job and left her "little present" for me.
    Well as I was walking up to the coop a skunk [​IMG] was walking towards the coop as well.
    I don't think I have moved that quick since I was 16 [​IMG]
    As I sent my son to get the shotgun I kept an eye on the critter. I guess I must have scared the little guy as much as he scared me and he ran off back out of the yard.
    My question is should I be concerned about skunks as predators? I have seen a lot of posts about coons and opossums but I have not seen one about skunks.

On a lighter note, when I went to get my lone little egg I got a suprise, it seems that two of my other hens finally decided to start laying. Three eggs today [​IMG]

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Congratulations! I'm still waiting for my eggs.
    As for your question about skunks ---YES!
    See BYC thread:
    Poultry Predator Identification by ml

Lots of good info on that one - about covers it all except for pictures - those are not available but the text gives good descriptions

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi and congrats of the eggs! Here in Ohio, skunks usually don't come out during the day....they're very nocturnal, which worries me in your case, because it could be rabid......Be very careful!

4. Marion565

Quote:Thanks for the info I will make sure that I read that thread.
    Good luck with your eggs!! I hope you won't have to wait much longer.

5. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:+1

Given the chance skunks kill chickens.

6. Marion565

Quote:I was worried about that too, that is why I wanted the shotgun. I hate to say it but next time he shows up it just might be his last time.

7. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    We have coons, skunks, bobcats and feral pets here and the skunks give me the worst problem because they are good diggers. Skunks will usually leave full grown chickens alone but they love to eat eggs. Your hens may have been laying for a while but the skunk gets to the eggs first. Like any animal they can be "trained". It may have associated the hen's egg song with lunch time so that she gets in & out with the egg without before either it or the egg was noticed.

8. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Wow! Lenster!
    Good to know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by