First, ever, fart egg.

tn_artist

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Wilson, NC
Over the decades, I have had chickens off and on. I had never heard of a fart egg in all these years.
My daughter and I were feeding the birds today and the feed spilled over the edge. As we watched, several birds took a few bites before going to roost. We paid the most attention to the youngest birds as it was only their second night outside. As we turned to go I noticed something next to the feed. Sent DD in to investigate thinking someone had stolen an unripe cherry tomato.
After investigating the tiny egg, we determined that it had to have been lain in front of us, as it was on top of the spilled feed. Can they possibly release a fart egg without knowing it?
After a while, I realized that I must have seen others over the years, because there were several instances that I thought a song bird had laid an egg in the coop. Duh. Took 50 years to figure out they were not song bird eggs. Double duh.
:th
20190930_191634.jpg

For size comparison the other eggs are OEGB and a Buttercup.

Last edited:
Fart eggs, rooster eggs, fairy eggs... they have several names. My grandkids love them!! I think when some pullets first start laying they don't realize what's going on and lay their eggs just anywhere. :)

It's darker than all the others we get from that pen, but not Welsummer dark. She is one we are waiting on, but there are quite a few bantams not laying yet too.

Not yet. My daughter says she was going to keep it, forever. I had to remind her what happens to eggs when they go bad.
:sick
That's funny. My friends daughter was here one day and I found a fairy egg. She took it home to show her Dad. Well that night she had made a tiny nest and put it under her pillow thinking she would hatch a tiny chick..:hugs

That's funny. My friends daughter was here one day and I found a fairy egg. She took it home to show her Dad. Well that night she had made a tiny nest and put it under her pillow thinking she would hatch a tiny chick..:hugs
I did that with a refrigerator egg. No one would let me have a pet, so I was going to take care of that problem.
:lau

After investigating the tiny egg, we determined that it had to have been lain in front of us, as it was on top of the spilled feed. Can they possibly release a fart egg without knowing it?
Was the egg very warm like a 'just laid' egg would be?
Could have been there for a while.
I imagine they can slip out pretty easy, as small as they are.

After a while, I realized that I must have seen others over the years, because there were several instances that I thought a song bird had laid an egg in the coop. Duh. Took 50 years to figure out they were not song bird eggs. Double duh.
Too funny!! :gig

Back
Top Bottom