First experience with mites

jennionthefarm

Hatching
Feb 28, 2017
Arkansas
So....i have 2 chickens that their booties looked all poopy and yucky. I cut all their feathers away and treated them with a spray I got at tractor supply. Completely cleaned the coop of all pine shavings and dust. cleaned out all nest boxes, etc.

one of the hens laid an egg today and when I picked it out of the box it had 3 brown tiny mites on it.

Now what????

Welcome! Mites and lice will happen sometimes, from those wild birds like house wrens, that invade o your coop and feeders. What spray did you use? Can't have been very effective as a miticide. Permethrin dust works fine but is a pain to use. Wear at least a N95 face mask, powder all birds, clean out the bedding, and powder everything before adding new bedding. Repowder in ten to fourteen days, maybe twice. OR buy permethrin spray concentrate, and spray everyone and the coop at night. Once. While the birds are roosting, without handling each bird at all. Mites can kill chickens. Happened here, years ago, awful. Mary

I bought Gordon's spray concentrate at TSC, and a new sprayer, and used too much concentrate in the first mix. No harm done, but do follow the directions for poultry! Mine is 10 mls (two teaspoons) per half gallon of water, and spray everyone and everything lightly. It's also so much easier to get into the walls! I did 48 chickens, a 16' x 24' coop, and my friend did her 40 chickens and a similar coop, all with that first half gallon of spray! Wonderful, easy, and cheap. Look at the fairly recent permethrin spray thread here too. Mary

I Buy and used poultry protector on it was either lice or mites, the ones that build up little clusters around the feathers and they've got these teeny little buddies bodies that look like fleas that are opaque and kind of brown reddish in color. It was citric acid I believe and I felt more comfortable using that as it was not a pesticide.

Back
Top Bottom