First Flock, One Started Laying Small Eggs

MrsSerfesME

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Westbrook, ME
We are raising our first flock of backyard chickens, we have 11 of them. Just this past weekend one of our leghorns started laying eggs, we have 2. I read that leghorns lay extra large eggs, but these eggs are small, like what they call small eggs in the grocery store, these are slightly smaller than that. Is this normal for the first few eggs (she's laid 3 so far)? They are clean and shaped nicely, just small.

Also, my husband has a co-worker that has been raising chickens for awhile, not sure how long, but at least a few years. He has an awful lot to tell my husband about how we should be raising our chickens even though he admits that he does not like his chickens and actually has a woman who takes care of them for him (he has a small farm). He seems to be quite adamant that some of our chickens will get aggressive and start fighting and will probably kill the less dominant chickens. He also asks all the time if our chickens have started trying to peck at us and get aggressive towards us. Our chickens are 6 months old now and aside from seeing a couple of them stand tall and puff up their feathers at each other and the occasional peck over who gets the first treat we have seen no aggression in our chickens. Is this something we should expect or does this have more to do with the environment they are being raised in?

We have one who is the leader of the flock. She calls the rest in at night and even checks the run before she goes in herself. She is bossy, but we have never seen her aggressive.

The aggressive behavior toward people is not at all something that is common. Aggressive behavior among flock members usually only happens if the chickens are kept in crowded conditions.
Pullets start out laying small eggs. Gradually they will get bigger, but it will take at least a month. The eggs will get bigger after each seasonal molt.

Thank you for the info junebuggena! I kind of figure that was the case with the eggs, but I figured it didn't hurt to ask.

Also suspected the same about the aggressive behavior. We give our chickens plenty of space, enrichment and food and water so I didn't think they'd have too much to fight over nor have any aggression towards us.

Back
Top Bottom