First flock

Mechanic1987

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Anniston, Ala.
We decided to get some chickens, my 9 year old daughter was the instigator. So we now have 5 Rhode Island, and four Brown Leghorns in our brooder. We have begun construction on our coop. The last time I raised chickens with my dad was 35 years ago. I remember some things but it is pretty new. I hope that these will make good layers. I plan to turn them out into the coop in 5 weeks. Is that to soon?
Thanks,

Well......if they have all of thier feathers, and the evenings are warm....say in the 60's, and they have a good coop.....I would say at 8 weeks age? I always waite till mine are 8 weeks, but then again..mine are pretty spoiled. LOL Good luck with your new friends.....Oh what FUN!!! My flock is up to about 40 now...and I want MORE! LOL:D

I don't know how old my babies were when I got them 2 weeks ago from the store but I knew a couple days ago they were too small for even the HUGE box I had for them. I had to make a coop. I think if you have one that isn't too drafty and all you could put them out whenver. When they start growing feathers is when they need room to grow in my opinion. Mine started getting feathers and I put them out in the coop I built for them. We still have some semi cold nights here in Oklahoma so I have 2 heat lamps for my 10 little girls and they are set on a timer that goes on at night and off in the day so it keeps them warm. But if you have warmer nights then you probably wouldn't need the heat lamps. I dunno. I posted a thing on heat lamps so I should be getting responses on it, so if you also wonder about them, keep an eye out on my new post I threw out on here. Good luck!!!
cool.png

big_smile.png
It's been 4 weeks today since we got our chickens they are all doing well. One of the leghorns turned out to be a Roo. Thanks to everone that has answered my questions in other post. I will keep you informed on their progress. About another four weeks I'll swith the to grower and put them in their coop.
smile.png

Ray

Here are some Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mechanic1987

Back
Top Bottom