First free-ranging suggestions?

Above advice is great. With raptors, it's about assessing risk, at least for me. I have hawks in my neighborhood. I only free range my small flock when I'm with them. Over time (about two years) I got more confident and would move around the yard further, sometimes running in the house for a minute or two. That ended last week when the hawk attacked my girls. I was right next to the tree where the hawk tried to pick off one hen on a low branch. Fortunately, the hawk did not succeed.

I figured it would happen one day and I'm fortunate the hawk did not succeed. The girls have been in their well-protected run ever since. I'll let them out again, but will stick very close to them.
This is exactly how I do things. I am happy to read that the hawk was unsuccessful. My 5 gals will be 2 yrs old this May and when i make those little 'runs inside the house quick' i think i hear them shouting every time and I run back out. Fortunately, i havnt had any issues. The hawks come but i shout and wave my arms and they fly away. I use my 'its a monster' voice and the girls all get under cover. 🤷‍♀️🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom