First guinea egg! Plus a question about hatching...

FunnyfarmMidwest

Songster
Mar 14, 2020
Well I found an egg this morning! Sadly it was in their water dish so I decided I’d crack it open. This egg had no spots and was a lot larger. I’m thinking it may have been layed by a different guinea hen. I cracked it open and am wondering if it’s fertile. I think I see a bullseye but I’m not sure. Thanks in advance. :) Here’s the egg!

Attachments

Mixed flock enthusiast

Free Ranging
May 21, 2018
Stillwater, OK
Well I found an egg this morning! Sadly it was in their water dish so I decided I’d crack it open. This egg had no spots and was a lot larger. I’m thinking it may have been layed by a different guinea hen. I cracked it open and am wondering if it’s fertile. I think I see a bullseye but I’m not sure. Thanks in advance. :) Here’s the egg!
Looks fertilized to me!

FunnyfarmMidwest

Songster
Mar 14, 2020
Omg! I was walking through the field to get to my broody duck’s nest and stumbled upon this! Tiny the guinea is broody and has a nest with 9 eggs! Right in the middle of the weeds! :lol: I have noticed that she’s never with the others and no longer comes in at night. My male Bandit was standing guard and was unhappy I discovered their secret spot! I was surprised, as I’ve been so busy monitoring my broody call duck and I didn’t realize that I also had a broody guinea as well! :oops:

Attachments

Mixed flock enthusiast

Free Ranging
May 21, 2018
Stillwater, OK
Omg! I was walking through the field to get to my broody duck’s nest and stumbled upon this! Tiny the guinea is broody and has a nest with 9 eggs! Right in the middle of the weeds! :lol: I have noticed that she’s never with the others and no longer comes in at night. My male Bandit was standing guard and was unhappy I discovered their secret spot! I was surprised, as I’ve been so busy monitoring my broody call duck and I didn’t realize that I also had a broody guinea as well! :oops:
Are you going to collect the eggs?

FunnyfarmMidwest

Songster
Mar 14, 2020
I just found the tinest guinea egg! It was randomly laid by the side of the rabbit hutches! It is so little and it must of just been laid this morning. I stuck that one in the incubator. It’s adorable! There’s one picture of it next to a normal sized guinea egg.

Attachments

FunnyfarmMidwest

Songster
Mar 14, 2020
I’m thinking that the guinea isn’t fully broody yet. I looked at the nest again and there were two more eggs. I’m thinking she’s still adding eggs before she will really start sitting. I also found a second guinea nest from my female Peep. The third female just lays random eggs everywhere and laid the tiny one. There is now 11 eggs in the nest.

Attachments

R2elk

Magical, perfect creature
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
My Coop
I’m thinking that the guinea isn’t fully broody yet. I looked at the nest again and there were two more eggs. I’m thinking she’s still adding eggs before she will really start sitting. I also found a second guinea nest from my female Peep. The third female just lays random eggs everywhere and laid the tiny one. There is now 11 eggs in the nest.
Guineas often use communal nests. Your hen may or may not be broody but it won't stop others from laying in her nest.

Top Bottom