First guinea keets of the year!

jkcove08

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Iowa
My first 2 guinea keets of the year hatched today!! I find an egg here and there so I would collect them and every 4 or 5 would put them in the bator. I was pretty suprised when they were fertile and growing. I forgot that it takes about 26 days, I was thinking 28 for some reason. Yesterday morning I was candling avd realized they were real close to hatching. I put them under my broody and they hatched today. My hen started picking at them since they are making different sounds from the other chicks under her so I took them out and put them in the brooder. I actually have been holding them alot and hope to keep them from beimg so hyper. They love to curl up in my hand to sleep. It is amazing how cute they are as babies and how fugly they are as adults...lol I just love them!!!! Jenn

dont ya just love new keets.i love when they start making a racket.an enjoy watching them growup.

I incubated and hatched some last year, and now they are laying eggs again, so ive got a clutches of eggs that i find in different places, and no room in the bator. Im hoping they will keep laying so eventually Ill get to hatch some more out
Congratz on your new keets, they are so adorable when they are little. I find them especially ugly when they are in the "young adult" stage and havent got all of their feathers yet. We refer to them as "the squad" becaues they look like little army helmets walking around. What colors do you have?

I will try to get some tomorrow. I currently have 6 and a couple dozen eggs at different stages in the bator. I am concentrating on my turkey eggs right now. Of course a have about 18 goose eggs at 3 different stages using up most of the space in my bators right now. I had friends that stopped by and asked if I had room for 8 goose eggs that were to close to the flood waters that we have had the last week. They got to them before the water and pulled them and put them under some banty hens that night. When I got them they were pretty cold but I tried to candle them and thought I saw movement. Then of course they say that they are about 3 weeks into incubation. I finally yesterday put them in warm water and 5 out of the 8 wiggled after a few moments. Of course the other 3 could have been sleeping too. I need to call them and see what kind of geese these even are. I have about 8 of my own that will be hatching at the same time and I would hate to not be able to tell the difference..lol I still have 2 dozen guinea eggs to get into the bator or I think I will be looking for a few of my broody hens too. So many eggs, so few bators..lol Of course my hubby thinks 4 small ones are enough.. Jenn

Back
Top Bottom