First Hatch, a little worried

preggochick

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 18, 2010
Hi, This is my first hatch. We are on day 24 as of today, and I am a little worried because the eggs are still fully in tack. I have seen the eggs moving around, so I believe there is something alive in there, just not coming out yet. I followed the instructions that came with the incubator, but could I be doing something wrong? How long to you wait before you figure nothing is going to happen?

If your temps were too low, you can have a late hatch. If you've seen the eggs wobbling around in there, that's a good sign. Now you just have to sit and be patient! I was a nervous wreck during my hatch, constantly checking the bator every 15 minutes for fear of missing something!!! Thankfully the people that make the bators make clear windows for viewing:)

As far as how long should you wait, I would give them at least another 24 hours before you go opening the bator to check on them. Just because you can't see any progress, doesn't mean they aren't making any. They could be pipping on a section of shell that is away from your line of vision. If you don't see any progress over the next 24 hours, you should try candling and check for signs of life. I know some people do assist chicks with hatching and I have myself done it successfully, but that's a process that has to be undertaken very carefully and that I don't really recommend as you can cause more harm by helping. Perhaps some other folks on here who are more experienced could be of further help.

Back
Top Bottom