First hatch. Had 40 in 13 have come out... Scared for rest.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by azzy, Feb 28, 2009.

1. azzy

azzy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Houston TEXAS
    SO 13 chicks have come out. Day 21 was on the 25th. it is now 3 days later, Im thinking of waiting till sunday to see if any more chicks hatch but i am really scared that they wont. There is still no crack on the shells of the remaining ones in the incubator. Do you guys think theyre dead?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im always one for waiting just a little longer , I am new so have no practical advice to give but I will say if it was me I would wait another 24 hours and maybe try to candle and see if I could see anything at all or if it was whatever but like I say I am new and dont know much.

3. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    similar to my hatch most came over 12 hrs, I went with my gut feeing and took out the other eggs 12 hrs after the others hatched as they all came at once, I knew by touching them there was a problem. I candled them, and they felt sort of cool which raised my doubt, I oppened the eggs and they were dead inside.

You have a lot of patience waiting so long! good for you!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wish I could give you hope, but at this point, I think you are done.

13 of 40 is better than my last hatch. Got 12 of 41.

Take care of those beautiful little chicks.

5. azzy

azzy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Houston TEXAS
    It was my first hatch so now i know everything i i wrong to not do for the next hatch. Im glad atleast 13 hatched because i was scared none were going to hatch since none even pipped at 21.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by