First Hatch HELP

littledipperbt

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 6, 2012
15 Hours ago we heard the first peep and a lil beek was out but thats just it . Its the same as 15 hours ago should i help ? This is what i have done so far i did take some shell away added a warm wet wash rag to incubator also laid a wet warm paper towel over the eggs should i give that hours or should i try to take some of the membrane away? HELP!!!!!!

First off. NEVER open the incubator during hatching.

Do not help. It takes anywhere from 12-48 hours from first internal pip for them to hatch.

Right now all I can say is leave everything be.

This isn't meant to come across as an attack on you. I was the same way with my first hatch - a nervous mother.. Opening the incubator can cause the unpipped eggs to shrink wrap and suffocate.

Last edited:
For how long? I dont want to lose any. Thats why I am asking because i read some articles that said to help after 10 hours . Thats why i came to BYC for help oh and Thank You my humidity is at or around 80-90 percent its been at or around 50-60 through incubation was that high enough

I agree.
Let Nature take it's course.
I had an egg hatch yesterday in 20 mins, start to finish.
Others took 12 hours.
The reason to keep incubator closed is to keep humidity high. The membrane of the egg can become hard if humidity drops. That is called "shrink wrapping" by OT like me.
Good Luck!

I agree.
Let Nature take it's course.
I had an egg hatch yesterday in 20 mins, start to finish.
Others took 12 hours.
The reason to keep incubator closed is to keep humidity high. The membrane of the egg can become hard if humidity drops. That is called "shrink wrapping" by OT like me.
Good Luck!
The membrane will shrink wrap before the egg pips. They will never externally pip if shrink wrapped.

For how long? I dont want to lose any. Thats why I am asking because i read some articles that said to help after 10 hours . Thats why i came to BYC for help oh and Thank You  my humidity is at or around 80-90 percent its been at or around 50-60 through incubation was that high enough
I would wait at least 24 hours before thinking about helping.

I won't help if they don't try to get out themselves. If they are trying and can't get out due to low humidity, I will help. I have tried to help once - and it was a deformed chick. It died before I finished. I've also helped late hatchers that were just taking way too long, and they were completely healthy. I gave them at least 24 hours though.

Little I'm going through the same thing!
But don't mess with them. Just sit and stress and type and pace and pull your hair out, LOL!
Mine started around 7-8 PM, only 1 chick this morning. 6 more to go! Mine got uber quiet and started
stressing me out around 12:15 am so I just went to bed. Now the farrier is coming, then going to vote, then
out to dinner, I'm not going to be much fun today! I just want to be home with my chicks!!

Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Little I'm going through the same thing!  
But don't mess with them.  Just sit and stress and type and pace and pull your hair out, LOL!
Mine started around 7-8 PM, only 1 chick this morning.  6 more to go!  Mine got uber quiet and started
stressing me out around 12:15 am so I just went to bed.  Now the farrier is coming, then going to vote, then
out to dinner, I'm not going to be much fun today!  I just want to be home with my chicks!! 

Good Luck!!
It's crazy how worried we get. I can't hear any peeping or see any rocking. I'm a little nervous myself. The eggs I have about to hatch are some bantam Ameraucanas, and the first to ever be fertile from my matings. I set 40 and ended up with 8 in lock down. I am so nervous that I won't have any hatch. We all think crazy things if they aren't progressing at this time. However, fooling with the eggs is the worst thing you can do at this time.

Your mind is going to be far away from your tasks today FarmaMamma!

OK, Thanks all for advice im gonna just leave them alone. But should i try to help tonight which will be 24 hours from first peep? Is there any videos out there showing you how ? and Yes im am very nervous, anxious, pacing and pulling hair out lol its so fustrating not knowing what to do ya no ill be glad when there all here and done i only have 4 btw they were put in incubator on oct 16 im just trying to give ya all all of the information as possible

Last edited:
OK, Thanks all for advice im gonna just leave them alone. But should i try to help tonight which will be 24 hours from first peep? Is there any videos out there showing you how ? and Yes im am very nervous, anxious, pacing and pulling hair out lol its so fustrating not knowing what to do ya no ill be glad when there all here and done i only have 4
You helping this one chick will affect the other eggs in the incubator. If the other chicks are yet to hatch, I would not help at all. Too much opening and closing of the incubator. It can be dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom