First Hatch HELP

Yep keep your mitts off!

I canceled my dinner plans, LOL! J u s t S i t t i n g a n d W a i t i n g...
How is your humidity doing? What kind of bator are you using?
Mine is clear and I've been stressing over their zipping, pa lease zip, pa lease!!!
Can you see any of the membrane through the pip? is it white and flaky and attached to the shell?

Yep keep your mitts off!

I canceled my dinner plans, LOL!     J u s t  S i t t i n g  a n d  W a i t i n g...
How is your humidity doing?  What kind of bator are you using?
Mine is clear and I've been stressing over their zipping, pa lease zip, pa lease!!!  
Can you see any of the membrane through the pip?  is it white and flaky and attached to the shell?
My humidity is 77% - I am using a Hovabator Genesis 1588 :) My temps suck. I follow my manual gauge and readjust the digital readout. My incubator is set to 103, and the temp on the manual gage reads 98.9.
I have 1 out! A splash bantam Ameraucana :D WOOT! Two more with pips.

I had to take gravol to help me sleep :gig

YEAH!! GOT 2 and 2 left to hatch i have 2 that hasnt even started to break through shell is this normal ?? its day 21 . also how long should chicks stay in the incubator ?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/9316/intervention-helping-your-chicks-hatch

I've helped chicks hatch before. It's not as dramatic as everyone is making it out to be. If the chick has pipped and still hasn't zipped a day later the membrane is possibly dried out. Just chip the shell away and try and keep a warm wet washcloth on it. check for veins, If you are all clear continue. If it bleeds stop and wait a couple of hours. Help it zip and remove the head if possible. Then let it do the rest. If you can get the head out and away from it's body to relieve pressure on it's lungs it'll have a fighting chance. Never had deformed chicks either.

Chicks need heat source for a week at least. A lamp and a box will do so they can get away if they are too hot. Also try to get them to start eating and drinking asap.

Last edited:
Thank You so mcuh it all helped i have another question i have an egg that hasnt hatched yet its day 22 its still alive i can hear it in there does it sometimes take more than 21days?

CONGRATS LITTLE!!!
I only have three so far, out of 7 :(. Leaving them be till tomorrow, maybe the next day. Unfortunately it's getting a little funky in there but too worried about
disturbing the humidity to check them at this point.
Had to take the chicks out they were causing too much trouble, all snuggled up in the brooder!

CONGRATS AOXA!!!
I was so tired I crashed around 9:30 last night! Hope the chicks are doing well!

My humidity was fine, temp held steady at 99. Using the Brinsea Mini Advanced. The chicks were too crowded and can't stand up all the way.
Not sure if I like it or not. I didn't check my eggs as well as I should have, some I candled later were obviously too porous. Oh well, that's what test runs are
for I guess!

CONGRATS LITTLE!!!  
I only have three so far, out of 7 :(.  Leaving them be till tomorrow, maybe the next day.  Unfortunately it's getting a little funky in there but too worried about
disturbing the humidity to check them at this point.
Had to take the chicks out they were causing too much trouble, all snuggled up in the brooder!

CONGRATS AOXA!!!
I was so tired I crashed around 9:30 last night!  Hope the chicks are doing well!

My humidity was fine, temp held steady at 99.  Using the Brinsea Mini Advanced.  The chicks were too crowded and can't stand up all the way.
Not sure if I like it or not.  I didn't check my eggs as well as I should have, some I candled later were obviously too porous.  Oh well, that's what test runs are
for I guess!
Congrats on your three! They do cause quite the rukus don't they?

One more hatched according to my MIL. One was on it's back and couldn't right itself. She reached in and turned it over. She thought it would die if she didn't. She said it was only 3 seconds. Hope all is okay. I wonder if they can die if they flip over? Never had that happen until they were under a heat lamp. If they flip over there, they can overheat and die. I wish they would hurry up and get rid of those wobbly legs!

Have any pictures for us?

Here's my first splash chick :)

Back
Top Bottom