First hatch , identifying eggs problems ?

Kawie

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2016
Hi there !

I'm totally new to this site and I have a couple of questions that maybe some of you could answer.

Me an my mom are currently trying to hatch some Chantecler and Easters Eggers eggs. It's our first time hatching chickens so we didn't expect much. It was very cold these past few weeks but we still put some eggs in the incubator and luckily we had one little Easter Egger last night. He seem in good shape , no problem with this one. We decided to put it in our Brooder and he's ( Or she? ) is one little happy chick. ( Photo below
big_smile.png
) We are both proud mommy.

We have 3 others egg that are supposed to hatch this weekend. But i'm a little bit scared since one of them has a yellow stuff on the shell. I don't know if it's juste something that was on it when we first put it in the incubator or it's the eggs that's just not good anymore. We read before putting eggs in the incubator and most of the site that I consulted were saying to not wash out the eggs. Since our Coop was a little bit dirty for the melting ice that we had , the eggs were dirty too. I'm scared that this egg ( I'll show a pic , it's a light pink one , a Chantecler one ) is rotten and may affect our 5-7 other eggs that we have in the incubator.

Another questions , one of the 3 eggs that are supposed to hatch this weekend is a little bit cracked on the shell , but I don't know if it's the chick that started to come out or just the shell itself that cracked ( pic down bellow ). Is it trying to come out or is it just me?

Thank you in advance!

P.s , sorry for my poor english grammar , i'm a French student!

Kawie
xo

Hi there !

I'm totally new to this site and I have a couple of questions that maybe some of you could answer.

Me an my mom are currently trying to hatch some Chantecler and Easters Eggers eggs. It's our first time hatching chickens so we didn't expect much. It was very cold these past few weeks but we still put some eggs in the incubator and luckily we had one little Easter Egger last night. He seem in good shape , no problem with this one. We decided to put it in our Brooder and he's ( Or she? ) is one little happy chick. ( Photo below
big_smile.png
) We are both proud mommy.

We have 3 others egg that are supposed to hatch this weekend. But i'm a little bit scared since one of them has a yellow stuff on the shell. I don't know if it's juste something that was on it when we first put it in the incubator or it's the eggs that's just not good anymore. We read before putting eggs in the incubator and most of the site that I consulted were saying to not wash out the eggs. Since our Coop was a little bit dirty for the melting ice that we had , the eggs were dirty too. I'm scared that this egg ( I'll show a pic , it's a light pink one , a Chantecler one ) is rotten and may affect our 5-7 other eggs that we have in the incubator.

Another questions , one of the 3 eggs that are supposed to hatch this weekend is a little bit cracked on the shell , but I don't know if it's the chick that started to come out or just the shell itself that cracked ( pic down bellow ). Is it trying to come out or is it just me?

Thank you in advance!

P.s , sorry for my poor english grammar , i'm a French student!

Kawie
xo
welcome-byc.gif
Your English is great!!!

Ok, the egg with the yellow on it I would pull out and examine. If the yellow is coming from inside the egg or a crack, and it is not pipped, (you can candle to see if it is internally pipped if you need to) I'd get rid of it unless there's a sign of life within. It may just be a little yolk from a busted egg in the coop if you are unsure whether it was there at set.

The bottom pic I can't tell much from. I can't tell what may be dirty egg or crack. From the pic the egg at left looks like it has cracks through it but I am assuming it may be dirt/poo on it?
Personally, I would hold them up to my ear and tap and see if it taps back or candle to see if it is pipped. Many people have an issue opening the bator at hatch and would say leave it alone, many others of us wouldn't hesitate to check it out.

Thanks for you answer!

I took out the first egg ,and checked it safely and carefully. It's doesn't seem to come from the inside , but while candling it , I saw that the top part was kind of fissured and that the yolk ( The yellow orange part when you put a flashlight ) was less than the half of the egg. Like only on the top and it seemed liquid? Maybe that egg didn't work out?

The second one , I was so afraid to take it out , it's heavier than the first one , but after a while i decided to do it ... it seems cracked , like if the chick did it. But at the same time , I think I did the candling wrong. I didn't put the flash light in the good direction , afraid to move the chick inside. But about half the egg was , I don't know how to say it , more yellow ( The yolk? ) than the bottom part. I'm too afraid it will do something if I take it out again, so i'll juste wait a coupe hour , or see tomorrow.

And one other question , I read about lonely chicks , because my only hatched one seems lonely , he is noisy when we are not about his brooder , I might put a little miroir if I can find one or a plush , but what size should I have? I have little sisters and they have a lot of teddy bear and plush. Since the chick is quite small , shouldn't I put a small plush?

Sorry for all the question , I just really want to do it right!
roll.png

Thanks again!

Thanks for you answer!

I took out the first egg ,and checked it safely and carefully. It's doesn't seem to come from the inside , but while candling it , I saw that the top part was kind of fissured and that the yolk ( The yellow orange part when you put a flashlight ) was less than the half of the egg. Like only on the top and it seemed liquid? Maybe that egg didn't work out?

The second one , I was so afraid to take it out , it's heavier than the first one , but after a while i decided to do it ... it seems cracked , like if the chick did it. But at the same time , I think I did the candling wrong. I didn't put the flash light in the good direction , afraid to move the chick inside. But about half the egg was , I don't know how to say it , more yellow ( The yolk? ) than the bottom part. I'm too afraid it will do something if I take it out again, so i'll juste wait a coupe hour , or see tomorrow.

And one other question , I read about lonely chicks , because my only hatched one seems lonely , he is noisy when we are not about his brooder , I might put a little miroir if I can find one or a plush , but what size should I have? I have little sisters and they have a lot of teddy bear and plush. Since the chick is quite small , shouldn't I put a small plush?

Sorry for all the question , I just really want to do it right!
roll.png

Thanks again!
Oh yes, lonely chicks can be hard to raise, I did it. The only reason it worked was because I had him out with us most of the time....lol If none others hatch and you can get him a friend, that would be best. A mirror is great, and as long as it isn't a huge plush, anything small or medium should be fine. The last single I raised I had a medium sized puppy plush in there so that the chick could get under, between the legs like they would a momma hen...lol

For future, if you candle down into the egg from the big end, the air cell end, you can see things much better.

Back
Top Bottom