first hatch jitters

nccowgirl2

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
I am hatching my first set of babys in my new genesis hova bator. I placed them in the incubator on April 1st and to my suprise they started hatching yesterday! Humidity is about 76% temp hanging around 99.5 to 100. Four have hatched so far but the very first ones that pipped yesterday haven't done anything else. They are still breathing in there with their one little pip hole. Its been about 12 hrs......what should I do!

welcome-byc.gif
Wait patiently. I am reluctant to intervene prior to 24 hours after pipping. Good luck.

I think I had my humidity too high. I did some reading and found out the incubator I was using recommended 55-65% humidity for hatching..... I had read somewhere 70-80 and that is what I was trying to achieve. I ended up with 21 out of 37 chicks. Out of those 21 I lost 2 that had pipped but nothing further, I assisted at least 12-14 and the rest never attempted to pip. so ended up with a little better than 50% hatch rate. I have done lots of reading since (even though I had done alot before) and I really think I had humidity too high all along so air cell was too small leaving chicks no room to rotate?
How did you end up doing?

Back
Top Bottom