First Hatch!!! See pics!

Delta3013

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
Harker Heights, TX
This is my first sucessful hatch!!! Im so happy:D THe little bugger hatched this morning and I found him around 4:00 pm. He is the first and probably only one to hatch out of six eggs:( I've raised chicks before but I have a few questions about this one...
1. I took him from mama because I'm afraid he will overheat and die, get pecked to death by other flock members, or get eaten by a predator.Am I right?
2. If he is the only one will he get very lonley in my room without me, because i've always raised chicks with 1-2 more with it.
3. This is my first baby I got from hatching and I just don't want to loose him.

I have never had a mother hen hatch chicks for me so i don't know the answer to your first question. I know that the hens are very protective, but I would worry about something happening to him too.

I have guinea eggs in the incubator now and my husband accidently put a bantam chicken egg in with them and to my surprise yesturday I had a baby chick running around my incubator. I was afraid he would get lonely too, so i called a hatchery near us and to my luck they had a hatch today with a few leftovers. So I ran up and got them and I got 5 for $0.50 a piece. I think it helps them to learn to drink and eat, but I really don't think it's needed.

I might switch from newspaper to wood shaving though. newspaper can be to slippery and cause them to slip and hurt their legs.

congrats on the new baby!
ya.gif

Well, it depends what kind of set up you have as to whether the baby is in danger from the others and/or predators. I seriously doubt she will overheat. Whenever I let a hen hatch chicks, I made sure they were in a safe location inside the coop. I would put up chicken wire in a corner and set everything up there so she and the baby(ies) wouldn't be bothered by the others. I didn't have to worry about predators because I closed the coop at night and it had a floor. After a few days, the mother would want to bring the baby exploring and I would remove the chicken wire. I never had a problem with my other chickens bothering the babies but that isn't always the case as I recently read about a chick being grabbed by another chicken and it was seriously hurt.

As far as getting lonely, yes, they DO get lonely and are much better off with at least one other chick. Why do you think the other eggs won't hatch?

I don't have a place set up for mama and baby(She hatched him in a cat carrier in the henhouse). I dont think MOST of the other eggs will hatch, but there's promise in one that was laid after the move. I had got the hen in salado(10 min from where I live) and the 10 or so eggs she was sitting on that were due today and tommaro. I'll be sure to post weekly photos of the baby, but he still needs a name.....
wink.png

I just put him down for bed, and MAN could he cherp a storm when im not holding him.

Last edited:
He's chirping up a storm because you are his companion and he has bonded with you. He will be miserable when alone so I am keeping my fingers crossed that at least one more egg hatches. That will solve the problem! Good luck. Let us know.

Back
Top Bottom