First hatch.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 007pennpal, Jul 29, 2011.

1. 007pennpal

007pennpal New Egg

Jul 29, 2011
    Ok so I got some chickens. A nice looking RIR roo and various heritage hens. Thought I'd go for an expansion and add a few hens and eat a few extra roos. Well, hens are kinda young and wouldn't brood, so I built an incubator to save money and just for fun. I put in 34 eggs. Just read about how to do it, built it, and proceeded. Not really knowing much about it other than what I read online. Candled and pulled out three that didn't grow, dropped one and was down to an even thirty at lock down. Well, I think I did almost everything wrong. Temperature up to as much as 106 a couple times, oops, humidity who knows probably way too high, I had the eggs wrong side high. Peeping chicks were dying so I had the bator open a lot helping them as I could. I did save some that way, but it was a mess. I got eleven live chicks. One little black one with a lopsided head and a leg that was wrapped up over its back with curled toes. That chick, "gimpy", I had to pick it out of the egg. It did peep and peck. When it came out, as bad as it looked, it was strong. So, I read about how to do some orthopedic bracing for a peeper. I taped its toes open on a little peice of plastic and put its leg under it and hobbled it to the good leg. Looking at the poor thing it looked pretty hopeless but I had time and nothing to lose. By the end of the second day it was hopping around eating and drinking, yeah. However, I was thinking it had little to no chance of using that leg in a close to normal way. Thought maybe we could get it half size and cook it or something. Couple more days and the plastic foot brace got pecked off from some older chicks I had put it with. Then, couple more days the hobble came loose so I just took it off. She was limping and had one toe still curled a bit but I was impressed with the improvement and, it seemed she was using the leg and foot half-way. A few more days and that leg was getting stronger and the toe was straightening. Couple more days and WOW, looks normal. I'm a chick rehab success, ha ha. Well, if I knew what I was doing and didn't put the eggs down side up, it probably wouldn't have been so ugly. Oh, and the flat head straightened out too. Totally normal looking chick. I'm impressed with the complete recovery from one messed up hopeless little chick that I took a hail marry chance to save. Strong little fighter. I might not be able to ever eat that one. Gimpy the chicken.

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm so glad you were able to rehab your little chick!

3. chickenwoman45

chickenwoman45 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    WV
    I did that with two of my chicks and they are the best layers and ar strong![​IMG]D

4. chickenwoman45

chickenwoman45 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    WV
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by