Understandably so. Yesterday evening, exact same time as the previous night’s attack, there was a hawk flyover. Didn’t seem to be hunting, just passing over.

Over the past two weeks I have seen/heard more hawk activity. Several times I’ve seen a couple dog fighting in the air. Not sure if it involves mating or males squaring off.
Both sexes will be scrapping but males most obvious. Most conflicts do not get beyond daily displays starting around 10 AM when thermals pickup. With Coopers, look for them exposing the white patch on back when flying low towards nest site. To my eyes it looks look cotton with a bluish tinge.

With Coopers, look for them exposing the white patch on back when flying low towards nest site.

Very interesting.

Also forgot to mention the possibility of the hawks pushing our way due to paper mill cutting the ~150 acres adjoining our land. I definitely know it has affected the coyotes. Thankfully my birds are safe from them.

My daughter is now 16, but she caught a hawk when she was 10. She was very active with the chickens and ran to rescue one of her favorites.
Below is the article that was printed online about it.
http://mynorth.com/2013/09/northern-michigan-10-yr-old-saves-her-chickens-from-hawk/
What a great story and an amazing girl!

Also forgot to mention the possibility of the hawks pushing our way due to paper mill cutting the ~150 acres adjoining our land. I definitely know it has affected the coyotes. Thankfully my birds are safe from them.
That'll move a lot of critters out. Only time I've ever seen rats here was when they clear cut an adjacent property last spring.

08F9D55A-8F7B-4754-BB14-B594DB3B921E.jpeg
Hawks!
I’ve had some pretty incredible experiences with them. Juvenile hawks are the worst. They have to gain experience. They leave allot of walking wounded in their wake. I’m agreeing that it probably was a juvenile as it started at the wrong end of the bird. A perfect kill for a hawk is to swoop and land with such force that it stuns the bird and the hawk then breaks the neck and left Undisturbed will finish what it started. Hawks get put off allot of their kills by other bigger predators.
I’ve walked up to a hawk munching on a wild bird. It just looked at me and finished it’s snack before just “hopping” up to the top of the 6’ privacy fence. Yes it’s true bigger birds need a area to flap and take off but don’t forget they can go up before they fly off.
I had a young hawk get stuck in the wire atop my run just last week. His talons were stuck and he beat himself silly trying to get away as I walked up.
I’ve had juveniles harass me! Being defiant as I walk up to them (kinda scary) they will circle back and land in the same spot! Crazy lol
I had to lock up my girls for over two weeks as I tried to harass the bird in the photo away from my yard. Since you’ve already had a close encounter I would suggest you do the same until your visitor has moved on.
It’s a never ending battle. Be aware. I use a air rifle. I’m real good at hitting the fence lol and they get the
Message. Good luck hope y’all stay safe!

View attachment 1698053 Hawks!
I’ve had some pretty incredible experiences with them. Juvenile hawks are the worst. They have to gain experience. They leave allot of walking wounded in their wake. I’m agreeing that it probably was a juvenile as it started at the wrong end of the bird. A perfect kill for a hawk is to swoop and land with such force that it stuns the bird and the hawk then breaks the neck and left Undisturbed will finish what it started. Hawks get put off allot of their kills by other bigger predators.
I’ve walked up to a hawk munching on a wild bird. It just looked at me and finished it’s snack before just “hopping” up to the top of the 6’ privacy fence. Yes it’s true bigger birds need a area to flap and take off but don’t forget they can go up before they fly off.
I had a young hawk get stuck in the wire atop my run just last week. His talons were stuck and he beat himself silly trying to get away as I walked up.
I’ve had juveniles harass me! Being defiant as I walk up to them (kinda scary) they will circle back and land in the same spot! Crazy lol
I had to lock up my girls for over two weeks as I tried to harass the bird in the photo away from my yard. Since you’ve already had a close encounter I would suggest you do the same until your visitor has moved on.
It’s a never ending battle. Be aware. I use a air rifle. I’m real good at hitting the fence lol and they get the
Message. Good luck hope y’all stay safe!
Thank you, @MissChick@dee. I don’t want that much experience with these things. :gig Just hearing them in the distance makes me cringe, let alone if I was to see one sitting on my fence. Dear lawd!

With as many hawks as there are in just my area, I don’t know why they are illegal to kill. I’m afraid if I actually were to get my gun I couldn’t be stopped. :confused: Then it’d be, “Oh woe is me!” as I tell my story as to why I’m in the big house. :lau

Back
Top Bottom