First Incubator - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bob1956, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Bob1956

Bob1956 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    I am going to buy my first incubator, and need some advice with my choices. When I get started I will begin with Quail, but want the option to move on to other poultry. I will need to get an auto turn machine, because I am not here all of the time to turn the eggs. I have decided on Brinsea as the brand, and have narrowed my choice down to three models.

Brinsea Mini Advance (Both Egg Trays)

The Mini Advance seems to have all of the features I will need, but I am concerned about the size. As a novice the egg capacity would be fine, but would my hobby quickly outgrow the incubator. Also the hatching area seems quite cramped for the little chicks.

Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco (Auto Turn)

The Octagon 20 Eco has a much larger egg capacity, and no need for special egg trays. I am not concerned about the humidity meter, because I could place a small meter inside the incubator. But how accurate is the liquid in glass thermometer.

Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance (Auto Turn)

The Octagon 20 Advance has the digital temperature and humidity display. Is the digital thermometer more accurate than the glass one.

So in conclusion, my decisions seem to be based on incubator size and thermometer type. I would appreciate some advice from other members, with your opinions on the three incubators.

Regards Bob

2. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    I started with a 2 1/2 dozen stryofoam bator with turner I had no luck with it My Daddy watched my girls struggle with it and one day walked thru my door with a 15 dozen cabinet incubator on a dolly, that was 20 years ago..that thing still runs like new and has hatched out thousands of chicks...I change out the wafers every 3 years just to be safe...but other than cleaning have done nothing else to it...If you are serious about this hobby check craigs list and get the best you can afford and go from there....you wont regret it....I have since bought another one on craigs list last year for 250 dollars now this one doesnt have a turner but that can be fixed but I can incubate 30 dozen eggs at a time....good luck, jane

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  3. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    I am sure all of those options are good.

Brinsea Incubator are the best

How much do you want to spend?

how many eggs do you wat to hatch at once?

how many times do you think you are going to hatch a year?

How much time do you have to watch your incubator ?

annwering this questions will help you to take the last desicion?

i am very happy with my genessis 1588 holds 120 quails eggs needs little atention

i have used the ocragon 20 advanced EX and is very good th only thing i dont like , is that you always need to buy extra supplies for the himodoty pump, like silicon tubing, and the humidity pads may not be important , but must be always handy because the pump can fail at any time when the tubing gets old

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The Advance models don't automatically come with the humidity pump - that is an optional extra. The ones that are sold with the pump are called the Advance EX. But to answer one of Bob's original questions, the liquid in glass thermometer with the Eco is very accurate, every bit as accurate as the digital thermometer display on the Advance models, really. The difference is that the Eco's thermometer only monitors the temperature, which you adjust yourself by twiddling the knob on the top of the bator. The Advance's digital setup actually regulates the temperature in the incubator - you set it to the temp you want, it keeps it there. Not that you'd really have to worry about the temp in the Eco once you have got it set, from what I've read about them they hold temp very steady. You just have to be careful to situate it out of direct sunlight and any hot or cold draughts of air, which of course is true of any bator, automatic regulation or not.

As for what size of bator you should get, if you can easily afford it, probably the larger one. Hatching is a very addictive hobby and if you get the smaller one, you'll most likely soon be looking to upgrade it. And before you need the extra capacity, it'll give your hatching chicks more room.

5. Bob1956

Bob1956 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Thanks for the replies and advice, I have nearly decided on an incubator. It is going to be between the Octagon 20 Eco and Octagon 20 Advance.

Regards Bob

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by