1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First integration question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by daxigait, Oct 14, 2015.

1. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Hi I wanted to ask if I have made a mistake, or what to watch for that might be signs I have.
    I placed my two 13 week old lavender Orpington in with my 25 week old RIR tonight at dark putting them on the roost. Are they old enough? I read that putting them in like that helped.

2. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    There are nine RIR pullets and an eight month old roo. I will have the new larger coop and run done be next week.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I'm not a fan of the night thing, chickens know who belongs and who doesn't, yours are at a tricky age for integration, penning next to each other for a while is the best way to go, your two might be ganged up on in the morning, I would make a separation pen for them and supervise interaction for a while, penning them up when you can't be there.

4. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I can put them in a cage in the tractor in the morning. The one jumped up onto the nesting boxes with a group of the pullets (no layers yet), and they just let her join them. The other huddled away. I hoped they would stay together to have each other. It was odd.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Perhaps you will get lucky, there's a usual way that chickens act, than there's a what they actually do, follow your gut, and do what feels right, good luck.

6. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    @[@]aart[/@]what do you think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by