1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First lay for button quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dave31842, May 18, 2016.

1. Dave31842

Dave31842 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    So far She has laid 3 eggs all in different spots. I put a small nest box in and placed the eggs in it. They go in and out, especially the male. It seems that he is trying to coax her into going in the nest. Is his common for first lying hens? Will the hen eventually sit on them? Thanks.

Dave

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    My buttons go broody quite readily, some people have buttons for years and never have one go broody. So it's hard to tell if yours will go broody or not. I think cage size and hiding places are important factors, but sometimes buttons go broody in relatively small cages.
    Mine seem to lay their first few eggs in different spots, then settle on a place they like and start laying there. Some just lay randomly all over the place.
    In my experience, once they start laying in the same spot, there is a fair chance they'll go broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by