First laying Silkie has a support network

mellovessilkies

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Hello all
After months and months of waiting we finally have one of out three silkies laying! She has laid for five days straight now which is fantastic as I didn't think Silkies laid the often.
Anyway, I've been spying during laying time and my other two ladies seem to be going inside with Blossom and watching her lay, and then they all come out together. Is this normal? I thought hens liked a bit of privacy during laying time?

Firstly congrats on the eggs ! And secondly I love the title. Are you sure its only one hen laying? While some strains of silkies lay well when they first lay its usually only a couple per week .
Sometimes chickens want privacy to lay eggs other times they want the entire flock in there to hold their wings and give encouragement lol

Usually they like privacy, but sometimes they all seem to want to lay in the same place although there are many alternatives, such a other nesting boxes. Mine always did that. Sometimes they would line up waiting for the "egg layer" to finish up. It's a riot.

Funny, funny creatures.

So, I wonder if more than one is really laying. Makes sense although you may not be aware of this.

I'm fairly certain it's just the one. I've caught her in that same spot every day with other kind of watching over. They are so funny! My hubby thinks the others are taking notes haha

Back
Top Bottom