First molt?

TXKukupantsKoop

Songster
Mar 16, 2022
Central Texas
One of my 10 month old RIRs looked fluffy on the chest. She's almost completely bald under top feathers. No redness, no pin feathers. Frankly she looks like a naked chicken! Lol. Acting normal and I don't see any signs of her being picked on. The other 9 aren't showing feather loss. I did notice after their afternoon dirt bath, there were feathers scattered...I'm assuming from the one that's bald. I'll try and attach a picture later but wanted an opinion. Thanks in advance. 😊

Molting chickens lose their feathers in a specific order. This link talks about that. It may help you decide if she is molting or not.

https://extension.msstate.edu/content/molting-laying-hens

Some people think the only cause of a hen molting is the days getting shorter in the fall. While that is a common reason for molting there are several other things that can cause a full or partial molt at any time of the year. Often those involve a change in lighting or stress of some type. It can be one or some of them, doesn't have to be all of them.

If you are seeing feathers flying around it is unlikely anyone is plucking them. With any kind of feather loss it is a good idea to check them for mites and lice just to eliminate the possibility if nothing else.

I can't get her still enough to get a picture. I still have to brush back a few top feathers but it's definitely bald under there on one side of
Molting chickens lose their feathers in a specific order. This link talks about that. It may help you decide if she is molting or not.

https://extension.msstate.edu/content/molting-laying-hens

Some people think the only cause of a hen molting is the days getting shorter in the fall. While that is a common reason for molting there are several other things that can cause a full or partial molt at any time of the year. Often those involve a change in lighting or stress of some type. It can be one or some of them, doesn't have to be all of them.

If you are seeing feathers flying around it is unlikely anyone is plucking them. With any kind of feather loss it is a good idea to check them for mites and lice just to eliminate the possibility if nothing else.

the chest. I guess it isn't molting. I've never dealt with mites/lice. I'll look into that. Not sure what to look for and my coop/runs are kept really clean. Could it be from the nest if she's in there for a long time?
20230303_140607.jpg

I can't get her still enough to get a picture. I still have to brush back a few top feathers but it's definitely bald under there on one side of

the chest. I guess it isn't molting. I've never dealt with mites/lice. I'll look into that. Not sure what to look for and my coop/runs are kept really clean. Could it be from the nest if she's in there for a long time?View attachment 3420671
Broody hens will pluck breast feathers for their nests. Even hens that go in to lay will sometimes pluck breast feathers before they lay. She may turn into a continual Broody at some point.

I guess it isn't molting.
That is not molting, not sure what it is.

I've never dealt with mites/lice. I'll look into that. Not sure what to look for and my coop/runs are kept really clean. Could it be from the nest if she's in there for a long time?
Mites and lice typically like the vent area because of the moisture. So look at the vent area and see if you see tiny critters or the eggs. One type of mites, roost mites, do not like light. They hide during the day and only come out at night. So take them off the roost when it is dark and look with a flashlight. They will run away from the light so you need to be quick.

That does not look like mites or lice either. The only thing I can think of is plucking but that doesn't explain the lose feathers when dust bathing.

No signs of the mites. Vent is good. I trim their backsides if they get any drips (eww). Lol! The bald part looks just like a chicken breast in the store - for lack of better description. I have seen a couple of my girls stay in the nest and roll the eggs around. Everyone waits patiently for them to get out. Well maybe not patiently. 😅

feather Picking. how big is the coop? if it’s smaller they could be stressed or bored. do they free range?
Coop is 16x12 converted shed with 3 attached runs which gives them huge amounts of space. They also free range for 3-4 hours daily (supervised). I don't see them pick on each other except for the occasional "get out of my dust bath" peck.

Back
Top Bottom