First Night in the Big Girl Coop

write2caroline

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville
Tonight is the first night out - very warm out. The girls (nearly 5 weeks)were in the lower part of the coop all day and we put them to bed in the upper part of the a-frame - they were pretty happy and then peeped a lot. They needed a nightlight - my husband is going to kill me for using our good flashlight. Tomorrow I will use the solar lights. Once they had a little light -they settled right down. First time they really let me pet them and comfort them. -I hold them all the time but they are kind of squirley and don't really enjoy being held. They will sit on my hand. I tried to transition them to the smell of the hay and their brooder had a shorter roosting rail but same size diameter 2x2.

I will be a nervous mom and check on them tonight. I was thinking about maybe camping outside but all my camping gear is in storage and I would at minimum want the mosquito netting and a hammock.

Meanwhile next Monday is hatching of chicks round two - I have 4 more coming - 1 roo and 3 more girls so I want to get the brooder all cleaned up and sanitized for the next bunch!

Just sharing our little milestone!
Caroline
Jax FL

Congratulations. It feeels good when things go right. When I combined my flocks, I had a couple of bully hens, but eventually everything worked out. Will be introducing more in a few months. I hope all goes well too.

PS My husband was a merchant marine too, now retired.

Back
Top Bottom