First Night Out at 7 weeks???

Quote:
Yup. They are ready.

Nice coop. Might be too drafty in winter, depending where you live. It is a great style of coop for where I live.

I'm right there with you...not sure if you saw my post, very similar to yours.
smile.png

My chicks are 7 weeks old and I wanted to know about 50 degree weather at night...

the difference is mine are in an enclosed coop...they have done it twice now (two nights in a row) and yesterday morning they seemed a little off kilter when I opened the coop door, DH thinks it's because of the dark/light difference, I felt my babies were a bit chilly...so I made some adjustments to the set up and made the roost/resting area farther away from the cracks in the doorway...it's too early yet to see how they did last night, but I'm tempted to bring them in tonight just to give them a night off...worries me...

in that big open drafty coop/run I would be too nervous...what a nice set up for them once they are ready to endure the chilly nights
smile.png
Wish my girls had that big of an area
smile.png

They should be feathered enough at 7 weeks; some on here will say 8 weeks, but not much difference. Remember they are just as likely to hide in a corner out of fear as being cold. Chickens are "chicken," afraid of their own shadows. Many find it takes them a week or more to even go into a secure run, in setups where it is separate from the coop.

Now, 3 weeks old in 60's weather without heat might be pushing it -- but some on here do this without a hitch, as well, and that poster said they were content. Some on here feel the chicks feather out faster and are hardier if kept cooler. I try to keep them at the cooler end of the spectrum when raising them; I think we tend to overheat them, making them lethargic, and dehydrating them. And I will never brood indoors again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree...

However, I also think there is a difference depending on what you're raising them for...

if you're raising them to be hardy egg producing, or meat eating chickens, then I personally think you can be a bit rougher and expect a little more of them in regards to hardiness and I totally agree with the logic that cooler weather will help them feather in stronger for cooler weather...

...but if you're raising them as pets (like I am) it doesn't hurt to bring them in at night if you can...another week won't hurt and once they are outside it's easier to fall out of touch with the daily handling and training to be friendly and want human companionship...

I'm always torn between the two...ahhh chickens are outside in snow, of course they can handle 50 degree weather at night in a coop...but then the other voice says....ahhhh poor babies, bring them in to the warmth of the house and let them have one more week to ensure they are fully feathered...

all that said, mine spent the last two nights outside in 50 degree weather
wink.png
But might come in tonight...who knows???

Quote:
Certainly nothing here I feel is incorrect thinking! Comes down to personal choice in the end. Mine are not coming in my house. Not saying that others should not have them in, just that it can be safely avoided, if desired. If we were all the same, what a boring place this would be!

There are instructions out there about raising baby chicks that say to brood them in the house for whatever, 6 weeks or something, and this does disturb me. I'd like to see more conversations about how to raise them safely in an outbuilding, for those who are new to chickens and really would not want them indoors if they knew it was not necessary. For those who prefer the convenience and contact of indoors, that's fine, of course.

Thanks everyone.
I brought them in last night and they seemed relieved. I think part of that at least was the coop is so new for them.
They will spend at least the day out there again today. By next weekend at 8 weeks they will be out there fulltime.

I live in a very mild climate area, central california. We only get a handful of days where the temp drops below freezing a year in Dec/Jan.
I was more worried about protecting them from the heat, so they are in protected, shaded area with lots of air. It's a run/coop combo of course.

Appreciate you all chiming in with your thoughts.

I put mine in the coop during the day for a couple of weeks bringing them in at night and they loved it...I think I started putting them outside during the warm days at 3 weeks...

I also think a HUGE factor is HOW MANY are you dealing with...

A couple (like I have) is easy to transfer back and forth without much ta-do...but if I had a big lot of chickens they would have more to 'huddle up' with and I would not want the problems of loading and unloading a ton of birds every morning and every night...

I totally agree they should have an area that talks about various experiences in raising chicks inside, outside, etc...because I'm sure there are a billion ways to do it and no one way is the RIGHT WAY...In hind sight, I guess that is what this section is for...lol

There are 12 chicks. 6 full sized birds and 6 smaller size (Golden Penciled Hamburgs).
We are trying again tonight. I put a little shelter inside the coop for them. They are not in it but apparently decided to sleep behind it. They are between the little shelter and the back wall in a sea of chicken feathers.
They are not peeping, not waiting at the door. Seem to be sound asleep.
I will go check them again but they seem to be ok.

They will be 8 weeks old in 2 days.

Last edited:
As long as they are out of drafts, they'll be fine. I have some 6 week olds that are on the roost in the coop already. Windows open, no heat, 45* night time temperatures last week.
wink.png

Quote:
Yup. They are ready.

Nice coop. Might be too drafty in winter, depending where you live. It is a great style of coop for where I live.

I Agree.. They Are Ready For Outside..

Back
Top Bottom