First night outside!

Bakinbaker

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 26, 2012
Yukon, OK
Our 3-week old ducklings needed a bigger cage and our 6-week old girls just love being outside sooooo much so we decided this weekend to let them sleep outside. They've been going outside for the day for over a week and are very used to their routine. When it starts to get dark they come to the back door and sit on the step.

Saturday I got a dog "pool" for them to wash and float in; it's not deep enough to "swim" but they seem to love it now that they've figured out how to get in and out of it.

It was about 45 degrees here last night. We have one of the medium-sized igloo style dog houses, with some old t-shirts and pine shavings in it, just like their cage was in the house. At first they weren't thrilled with being in the dark (in the house the cage is in the living room so they are really used to us being around and there being a lot of noise and light). We blocked the doorway so they couldn't get out and most importantly nothing could get in! After about 2 hours we went out to check on them and they were contentedly chirping away.

This morning hubby went out to let them out and they didn't seem to want to be bothered. They were slow to come out but did after about 15 minutes.

I didn't realize that he didn't put any water or food in with them last night though
smack.gif

I was so worried they would be mad at me but they were very attentive this morning and haven't "asked" to come in at all today, which is a first.

As long as you are keeping them safe from predators, cold, disease, hunger and thirst (I know you will get the food and water in there since ducklings that young really ought to have food 24/7).

Something I will ask is, could a larger predator, like the size of a great dane, overturn the igloo?

My rabbit was killed when a large predator knocked her cage over, the door flung open, and though she ran for her life, it chased her down and killed her.

You probably also will be watching the weather reports. Night temperatures can drop and I would not want my ducklings out in truly cold weather.

Last edited:
I guess realistically an animal that large could knock it over but I'm not sure how an animal that large would get into my backyard that has 6-ft wood fence. I check it each morning and evening for holes "under-construction" from the neighbors' dogs (dogs on all 3 sides of us). Also, our bedroom is the exterior wall to the backyard and we hear everything. I don't know, maybe I'm being naive.

Tonight they have a full 1-gal waterer, a large bowl of food both of which should last them the night and a light inside.

Tonight's temps will get down to about 37. The rest of the week the lowest is 45.

They were content to go in tonight and stay while I got the food, water, and light situated. After I closed it up I could hear them eating and drinking and talking to each other.

2nd night was good! They came out this morning, had their treats, and got in the pool. Of course now, 2 hours later, they're standing at the door talking to me and asking to come in. I think they got a little spoiled!

Back
Top Bottom