first night using heat lamp

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickfamilyonsleepyhollow, Jan 23, 2011.

1. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

The weather is forecasted to be -2 tonight so we decided to put a heat lamp in the coop that's hanging above the roost (about five feet above) ... I just checked on them and they're wide awake and chatty but are roosting under the light ... now I'm wondering if its too bright in there ... is anyone else using a heat lamp in your coop because of exreme cold weather and if so, have you noticed any changes with your chickens sleep pattern??? (my husband thinks I'm crazy...again [​IMG])

2. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    Here we are getting the same. I would say don't use a light they will be just fine. Thats my opinion. They are much hardier than people think. using a light lessens there hardiness in the long run.

3. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I've had my heat lamp on for the last 3 nights because its been -20F or colder every night. My rooster crows all night even though I have a red lamp. I think they do lose some sleep, but they're chickens, they can rest whenever they want.

4. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    we live out in NJ and it's freezing here too ( -15 ). I'm using 1 heat lamp in their coop and last night at 2am, 2:30, 3:45am and 4:30 the rooster is at it. Last week he kukuruku at 12am. So I do think it changes their sleep pattern, although some people say that chickens can't see very well at night therefore they don't get up just to eat or drink, well my chicks didn't here that rumor [​IMG]. There is a low light at the corner of their run and I would see atleast 1 or 2 eating at all hours of the night. I saw a red heating light and I'm planning on getting that, hope it helps.

BlackBrookPoultry; I thought red lamp might of helped but I guess a light is still a light for them [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  5. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:when the nights are having freezing temps i use red heat lamps....chickens can survive some cold weather ,,,but mine seem to not just survive but thrive better with the heat the red lights don't effect my chickens sleep.

6. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    Mine did not go to sleep. So I used a heat emitter.

Quote:

7. blaine012

blaine012 New Egg

Jan 18, 2011
    I was considering putting some kind of a light for warmth because of last nights and tonights below 0 temps but they seem to be doing just fine!... My hens came from a farm in N.H and I guess living in barn during the cold N.H weather made them hardy enough to withstand these temps.

8. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    We had -12ยบ here last night and when I woke up the girls were outside - not moving too much and all puffed up, but they were outside.
    I will say I feel bad for them when it gets THIS cold, but they seem to handle it well. Now if it were this cold every night, who knows.
    At least now when it gets back into the 20's it will seem balmy!

9. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    No light or heat source for my girls. Here in NY we went down to -14F. They do just fine because they have been acclimated to the temps. But to give them a boost of fat energy I feed them b.o.s.s. and cracked corn as a treat.
    PS. I still have not closed the pop door and they are all doing great. You will be surprised at how cold hardy chickens are.

10. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I have a 250watt red heat lamp 4ft off the floor over the water to keep it from freezing. It is on 24/7 until spring comes. I added it at first for the young chickens to keep warm. I send chicks out as soon as I can from the brooder in the house. Our coop is quite large and water easily freezes even with 30 chickens heating the air.
    What color is the light anyway?
    I've never seen mine awake because the light is on. If anything, it helps the Japs find their way to the rafters.
    I don't see a problem with anyone adding heat as long as it is bomb proof so it won't make the coop go up in flames...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by