First official egg as a chickenkeeper!!

I keep reading about a bleach-dawn solution for washing eggs but I can't seem to find a recipe for it. I know not to wash the eggs right after collecting them, but I'll be using them in my home bakery products so I thought I might sanitize them right before I crack them them into my batters?
I clean mine right before using, in a bowl of barely tepid (just needs to be slightly warmer than the eggs are) water and some vinegar.

Well folks, just found it buried in the nest box! I wonder who laid it and when? I'm so proud of them for depositing it in the designated area near the ceramic ones. Is the first egg usually teeny tiny? It's hard to tell with my huge hands but its ping pong ball-sized and pretty hefty like it has a thick shell. I started leaving out oyster shell a week ago and started mixing layer feed into their grower feed. My husband is so done hearing about the chickens so I had to tell someone :celebrate
Congrats on the egg!

Well folks, just found it buried in the nest box! I wonder who laid it and when? I'm so proud of them for depositing it in the designated area near the ceramic ones. Is the first egg usually teeny tiny? It's hard to tell with my huge hands but its ping pong ball-sized and pretty hefty like it has a thick shell. I started leaving out oyster shell a week ago and started mixing layer feed into their grower feed. My husband is so done hearing about the chickens so I had to tell someone :celebrate
Oh look at that cute little egg! First eggs are the best. :wee :thumbsupand yes they are teeny little ones and Bonus she laid it in box!

I'm a first timer also and extremely enjoying my 8 Barred Rock hens. Their first eggs were small also, but getting bigger. Already have a few large ones and double yolkers. Have also had very thin skinned eggs which I carefully remove from coop. Have seen the girls eat those soft eggs, blech, but I'm getting used to it. Chickens do not waste anything from all that God has provided :). Enjoy!

My family and friends know all the details. My hubby helps me do a lot of projects for the chickens( totally rearranging the roost, adding wire to the roof inside so they don’t fly up, making a portable nest so I can move it to the cage outside and on and on)and he just listens to my stories and hourly updates, I think he enjoys them. I’m constantly changing or trying to improve the coop. The eggs will get bigger! It’s fun !

Back
Top Bottom