First pip of first ever incubated eggs!!!

24 baby chicks as of 5:40am! And I didn't even set these until between 8am-noon three Tuesday's ago!
Very cool. Glad I got to watch most of them hatch yesterday.
A bunch more pipped! We'll see what my final hatch rate is.
Set 37, tentatively threw out 4 (100%, total duds), so had 33 going into hatch. 24 out successfully. 9 left to go!

Oh, wow! So there were 37 at first. 4 that were obviously "clears"--they lit up like the 4th of July!! Threw them out at day 10 and cracked in the sink to make sure they were duds. They were.

Put 33 in lock-down, candled as best I could, considering some were super dark brown and I was using a mini-LED flashlight and a toilet paper roll!!

Out of 33, 31 hatched. One was a dud with no development. A clear? And one was fully formed, half zipped, and for some reason, died in the egg :(
I have no idea why.

As per the general consensus on this forum, I got a HovaBator Genesis 1588 with automatic turner. Followed the directions that came with a machine to a T. Did not modify or vary. No sponges. In lockdown, after filling the second tray of water, the humidity went to 65%. Once the chicks started hatching, it shot up on its own to 73-75% humidity and stayed there.
Only thing I wish I had done differently was NOT taken out any of the chicks. I really think I dried out the membranes of the remaining eggs when I quickly tried to clear out the first batch after 18 hours of hatching.

Overall, I am tickled pink with my results for a first time hatch! Collecting eggs right now to do it again!

I really thought it might be tough to sell of "barnyard mix," straight-run chicks, but I LITERALLY sold all 31 for $2 within two minutes of putting them on a few local Facebook sites. Guess $2 was too low! Sheesh!!
Had four more offers within ten minutes!

Two more hatches like this, and I've paid off the incubator!

Sarah

Back
Top Bottom