First post and a question

Jesse Frank

Hatching
12 Years
Jul 9, 2007
Hi all,

Great forum1

My wife has basically given me the go ahead on raising chickens, and I was wondering if chain link fencing would work for the run. The reason I ask is that we "inherited" several hundred feet of 6" fencin when we bought the property. It would be nice to put some of it to use!

Thanks,
Jesse

MIne are in a chain link run, but I do put them in their house at night because I wathced a weasel go right through the chain link. Even after I wired the floor and roof, something climbed right through!

Half of my 80' run is chainlink the other side is 2x4 welded wire. The only problem is to make sure they don't roost in the run at night. Racoons can grab them & pull them through the fence then eat their heads off. I had a few that happen too. I covered the top of the run with garden netting and brought it down to cover the sides of the fence too. Plus if you have chicks or small bamtams they can squeeze through the openings in the fence. I've had my run up for over 4 years and only had a few mishaps in the begginning. But it was free and wanted to make use of it. Here is a picture of my run.

102_0310.jpg

Last edited:
I use a chain link fence, but I lined the bottom with one row of chicken wire because my chicks were small enough to get through when they started using it. At 8 weeks they can't fit through anymore. I always lock them in the coop overnight though.

Chain link would make a great chicken run. The only problen is weasels can get though it. I would get some rabbit wire and line the bottom of the chain link with it.

Just a word of caution, and this was my experience with chain link, but we had a neighborhood german shepherd tear up our pen and get to all of our girls inside... my main chicken coop is now entirely surrounded by barbwire until I can get an electric fence run!!
wink.png

I also forgot to mention our chain link is buried 12 inches, because we have foxes and coyotes around here and I usually say a prayer none will get in during the day, thats why I have to lock them in at night.

Thanks for the advice!

Burying it and using a row of smaller mesh fencing on the botom is a great idea, and we certainly have dogs, foxes and coyotes in these here parts. we have several rows of barbed wire with the fencing, so maybe I'll use that too. Thanks!

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom