First Predator Scare!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AccentOnHakes, Sep 4, 2011.

1. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    It's about 7:30 at night, and I go out to give my two girls some pellets and scratch(as treats). All of a sudden I hear a clatter of claws....I look up at the roof(I live in the city) and see a hawk staring down at me and my chickens! [​IMG] I throw the rest of the food in my hand in it's general direction, hoping to scare it off...no luck. It's about the size of my EE's, grey and white. I grab a rock and stare up at it, just waiting for it to make a move. It screeches softly down at me... I open my mouth and screech right back! That terrified my pullets, but the hawk/falcon/whatever didn't even seem to notice.

It moved up the roof, but I didn't dare leave the yard. Not until it left. After awhile, I heard the rush of wings and looked up to see it flying away. It had strings attached to its legs, so it must have escaped from somewhere. Gosh, I hope it's caught soon, and that it doesn't come back tomorrow!

I did look online, but I couldn't find anything about a lost raptor or bird of prey.

2. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    sounds like it's been in been near some other coop,
    what with the attached string.[​IMG]

3. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:I think it was left unattended, attached to someone's whatever-you-call-them with jesses, then it bit through the knots and flew away. I've seen owls and hawks in my neighborhood on the stand things and also once a flyer for an escaped RTH. I guess some falconer wasn't too careful.

My heart is still pounding and I'm almost feeling a bit dizzy, but it's nothing too bad. It was really scary, though!

4. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Strings on its legs??? Hawks are fond of chicken I agree (as I am) but strings on a birds legs??/ Seems wrong in a lot of ways. Maybe it was just caught up in some bird netting and can't get rid of the residue... will probably be his/her demise. Keep your birds under a wire netting roof and they will be fine.

5. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:Nah, it was long and skinny, and the two sides looked even. I can't really cover the whole yard, might not let them out of the coop tomorrow, though.

It's just how falconers contain their birds--just like how people use collars or harnesses attached to a leash for the dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by