First predator

Thunder Bay Chicken

Songster
9 Years
Oct 21, 2010
North of Thunder Bay
Well the other day I was relaxing well all hell broke lose.

First the dogs went nuts, then the chickens!

Look out the window and see a furry weasel like critter bounding across the snow headed for the chiken pen, so I run to get a gun.

I grabbed the Savage over under combo. 22 hornet over 20g , I wasn't really sure what I was dealing with critter wise yet.

Turns out I got to the back deck just in time as he slipped into the big run 2x4 welded wire. At about 30-35 yards I hit him with an ounce of #4 20g.

BOOM! Dropped it like a sac of potatoes.

I made a great shot and lucky for me the chickens ( Roosters included ) had high tailed it back into the 22x24 pen that is on the front of the coop, so no chicken was hit with stray shot.

Turns out it was a Marten... we are not allowed to hunt these furbearers but can shoot them if they threaten or damage property or livestock.

So I phone our local ministry of wildlife to report it, and then I pay a small fee to keep the hide. Cost me $3.15 .

I took the critter to get it mounted. I am an avid hunter and don't want to waste it, so thought a mount is cool way to make use of the critter.

Here it is.

70230_p1070354.jpg

Also in the last couple of weeks I had seen a weasel, a hawk and a lynx. All within my clearing about an acre and I have another 47acres in bush.

It has started to get cold here and snowed a bit recently so I guess these predators are starting to get hungry.

If I have to shoot anything I will do the legal thing and report it, then pay the TINY fur fees so I can get the animal mounted or tanned.

I'll post a picture when it comes back from being mounted.

Last edited:
Quote:
Very fast. Like little streaks of lightning.

Nice work, Thunder Bay Chicken.

I just typed in wesel running into youtube and this video came up and it shows it eating a chicken it had killed and i cant believe one would have been doing itto myne im ognna kick its ass.

That is really neat! Did you do all that or pay someone? Nice job on it.Good showing on those teeth. I keep imagining those tearing into my girls.

Back
Top Bottom