First racoon sighting ... ugh

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickfamilyonsleepyhollow, Oct 31, 2010.

1. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Last nite my hubby spotted a racoon on our deck around 9:30 ... first time we've seen one of them in the 10 years that we've lived here (we've always suspected they're around) ... our six girls free range late in the afternoon and they head back into their coop at sundown ... sometimes we don't get around to locking them up until an hour or two after dark ... I'm just wondering if we need to be more vigilant now and lock em up before sunset?

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Most definitely. That coon can smell dinner that's why he has shown up. This is what I do . I supervise every outing with heavy artillery. I've got a big investment plus I've falling in love with the chicks. Plus , I love a good breakfast. Kill that coon. I know I'm terrible. I like brown eggs not coon meat.

3. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Ya...you had better lock your flock up before dusk and look closely at your coop to make sure the racoon cannot get into it. If you don't you can expect a most horrible massacre in the near future. I speak from experience...unfortunately. [​IMG]

.Racoons are VERY crafty, vicious killers. Chicken wire is useless to keep them out.

4. jacksboro_red

jacksboro_red Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Jacksboro
    i coon hunted with hounds for 20+ yrs and there definately outta there dens and looking for food as soon as it gets dark! Usually the best hunting was within a couple hours of sundown

a good box trap might be a good idea and i always had alot of luck baiting with marshmellows. doesnt really attract anything else but coons love it

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:Molasses works just as well as marshmallows good luck

6. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I've been using cat food. Hope you get him.

7. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    One Coon = More. Get the gun

8. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    They like Spam too!! Got this one last night, trap will be set for all his little friends. Do I feel guilty? Not in the least.

[​IMG]

9. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Hubby was sitting in tree stand and saw a coyote! Couldnt get a shot at him though!

10. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    I've only had chickens for 3 1/2 yrs. but have caught so many coons right near my coops, its amazing..They are hands down the biggest threat to my 36 hens.I get them in at dusk, and lock them up tight until morning light.
    After a rain, i have found muddy coon tracks on the top of the egg collection box, mounted on the outside of the coop...I have had pretty good luck with cat food and a havahart live trap.Thier is one krafty one around who was able to pick up a can of cat food in the trap and escape with the bait without tripping the trigger..! Sometimes they will roll the trap over and eat the catfood through the side of the trap.Now i tie the bait in the trap and put a cement block on top of the trap..
    Some coons that have been trapped and released won't trap again, they have learned of the danger.
    They are one i worry about getting my hens.The coons keep coming and i keep trapping and killing them.
    I look for damage everyday to my coop, so far they have not tried to chew their way in.Make no mistake, coons will wipe out your flock in a single attack.Lock your birds up as soon as you can get them in the coop at evening..!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by