First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by JessicaThistle, Jun 10, 2014.

1. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    I HAVE DONE IT!!!

No, I did not get the free guineas. Nor did I clean out the coop. Or figure out the &%*%$#@ timer. (do symbols bring on infractions?!)

I have officially communicated in chicken, with my chickens. Or at least this is my belief.

Today I took them some sprouted lentils. BOY, do they love these. While all the gals were making their happy chicken sounds, I was right along with them making the silly sounds I use to communicate to them. At some point in my antics, they all looked at me. All 8. While their chook sounds increased at the same time, they all had a look that either conveyed, "Right?! These lentils are so amazing!" Or, "Holy Moly. She has lost the last screw."

I am going with the belief that I can now officially communicate with them.

2. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Silly bird.
    Don't I know it! My husband is self-employed and I stay home with the monsters. It took a good many years to be able to sell our old home and get to a place that gets us closer to our dream!

3. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Quote:You must be the one that mentioned sprouted lentils. So I started yesterday and they are showing their little tails. ha Shoot, I'm thinking about putting some in a pot of dirt and growing them. Garden fever anyone?

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I candled eggs today no veins in the eggs yet. I don't think are drake is getting his job done if you know what I mean[​IMG]. After our tom attacked him he has not been breeding our hen. Do you think it could be because the drake lost his eye??? I might have to get some pekin pekin mallard cross eggs from a buddy and try to hatch those. I could keep a drake from that batch. But I would rather buy a new drake so I could keep the hens from my friends batch... Decisions decisions.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE

2 people like this.
  6. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Do you guys like my new avatar???

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I do,...If you put a dog in there you have the full circle ...

Cow eating grass,,chickens eating cow poo...and dogs eating chicken droppings..

8. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Ralph I would have to put my aunts dog in there he eats his own poop to... He has some problems.

9. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    I love having some too! Nobody else will eat them here. Just me and the birds.

Holm- Love the new avatar!! Funny to see animals interact. My dog, when not eating chicken poop, will herd the girls around. Sometimes the gals chase him back too!

My daughter saw a YouTube video of a guy who had his guinea pig trained. Guess what she is trying to do now. It is hilarious.

Speaking of training animals, there are all kinds of things on pintrest telling you how to train your chickens.
    Aren't all your chickens trained? Every time I go outside or speak when outside (granted, unless it is inclement weather and my chickens are being ornery) they all come running. Bring the coffee can that carries scratch, you can hardly walk. Anyhow, obviously my chicken whispering is coming in handy!![​IMG]

10. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Hmm... should you have veins yet? I don't know about ducks...
    I would do both!! If you have room for everyone, that is.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by