First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Man seems like more people r coming to this all the time now that its spring!! Its great

How r u all doing?? Can we get some update pics on the tractor Jessica??

Hi everyone! We're doing our first run of CX this year, just 5 pullets for now. I'm actually hoping to keep them alive long enough to breed to my Langshan cock. However, if their health starts suffering I'll butcher them out.

Currently they are 2 weeks old and are being raised with a variety of breeds of other pullets. We moved them out into the coop with the adult flock earlier this week and they are very happy at all the extra space to scratch and fly. Our adults are very, very easy-going and have never offered to bother any chicks in the past. They're completely ignoring the new batch of chicks.

We keep the food nearby, but let them run out completely between AM and PM feedings. Waterers are scattered all over the coop and they have to walk to get to any of them. They're on a 20% chick starter, then will move onto a 19% all-purpose with soaked alfalfa pellets, and finally onto a 15% layer ration with soaked alfalfa pellets. They'll also be encouraged to free-range with the rest of the flock, get kitchen and garden scraps, and clean up grain spilled by our larger livestock.

They remind me of big dogs that think they're lapdogs.

Looks good, You will be able to keep them for breeding if you raise them slowly..

My avatar is Bert he is a 9/10 month old CX. .... and he has breeding on his mind all the time... I am moving him in the next few days to a pen with a few Dixie rainbows... He is so timid the other roosters run him off before he can do his work.

Holm Fuzzy Balls Just for you!!!

I have one Diamond encrusted Creamette but it is in ICU. I have my fingers crossed. the other two costly eggs have not even pipped.

And this one my DW named Princess Diana because of her Easter bonnet and the fact she came back from the dead for us... She is so cute. We are keeping her in the ICU for another day to encourage the Creamette.

Ralph they r all so cute!! How long till she loses her "bonnet"?? Hope those other eggs hatch for u!!

Bramblefir ur girls look great!!!

Thanks!

Looks good, You will be able to keep them for breeding if you raise them slowly..

My avatar is Bert he is a 9/10 month old CX. .... and he has breeding on his mind all the time... I am moving him in the next few days to a pen with a few Dixie rainbows... He is so timid the other roosters run him off before he can do his work.

That's the plan! Nice and slow.

My Langshan cock has the same problem, except there's only one other male. A little bitty Hamburg keeps the great big Langshan running for his life.

1f602.png
1f602.png
sounds like ur hamburg roo is fierce

Thanks!

That's the plan! Nice and slow.

My Langshan cock has the same problem, except there's only one other male. A little bitty Hamburg keeps the great big Langshan running for his life.

Rooster behavior is always hard to understand. Bert outweighs my other roosters by 15lbs. Yet he runs from them all.

I have decided I need CX's now!!

I will be ordering them today or going to TSC and buys some. I need to make them an indoor brooder in one of my sheds today.

The Little CL is alive and Princess Diana is doing great. My wife has taken over their care. She will not allow me to help them while they are in the ICU. I will get pictures when she allows me to take some...BTW this is the woman that tells everyone she does not like the birds and they are his!!!

Back
Top Bottom