First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Good news guys I though one hen was becoming an egg eater, but no eggs have been found broken now for several weeks. Maybe the hens were having a dust up tift around the nesting box and accidentally breaking eggs... 2 birds seem to have more dominance issues than a larger flock in my experience so far... very interesting behavior wise.

I only kept 2 slow growth roosters last year as the medium growth had bad movement.
I also kept back all the slow growth hens which layed solid all winter and are still going strong.
I also kept back 4 medium growth hens 2 made it through the winter to breed but only 1 remains now.

To be honest all of the breeders kept back last year could do with being culled out as they are tatty and worn out, but they have done there job and as soon as this years keepers are laying las years birds will be in the freezer.

Sounds like a rough experience. I've probably asked before, but where did you acquire your original breeding stock, because from those numbers you don't sound like you'll be meeting the 500 minimum order.

Dave that Maran cross looks like he is getting long in the leg! Good looking birds

Attachments

• 20170702_175026-1.jpg
    20170702_175026-1.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom