First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Pics
I'm so excited!!! My friend is going to pick me up 15 cornish x right now at northern colorado feeder supply! Thank you mountain mom for letting me know where to get these little fluffballs!!

Now I can REALLY join in the fun!!

Do you still have yours inside mountain mom?

I weighed mine tonight, they are between 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 lbs... Looking good....

I fought for 30 minutes putting my 15 guineas in the coop. This is getting old. 30 minutes a night times 7 nights is 210 minutes.

That comes to 14 minutes a week per guinea......I am thinking it would only take me 5 minutes to cull, clean and freeze one.

I'm so excited!!! My friend is going to pick me up 15 cornish x right now at northern colorado feeder supply! Thank you mountain mom for letting me know where to get these little fluffballs!!

Now I can REALLY join in the fun!!

Do you still have yours inside mountain mom?
Excited for you!! It was like Christmas morning for me when I went to the post office to pick up my box o' peeps. Are you getting them tonight or in the am? (i don't remember if you posted how far away it was)

I weighed mine tonight, they are between 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 lbs... Looking good....

I fought for 30 minutes putting my 15 guineas in the coop. This is getting old. 30 minutes a night times 7 nights is 210 minutes.

That comes to 14 minutes a week per guinea......I am thinking it would only take me 5 minutes to cull, clean and freeze one.
That's a lot of guinea time! Hey, can that count as exercise? I could start my "birds are good for your health" talk on DH---and justify my need to keep "getting healthier" with more birds...

Had to cull another roo today, and I'm getting more okay with the upcoming Sunday (i've been doing a lot of introspection, and it's part of the bird-stewardship relationship, and I think I'm finally getting it), but I will still be in need of a stiff drink afterward, and I'm really going to miss my lawn popcorn. He dressed out at 3lbs 15.5oz, so just shy of 4lbs. He was mid-sized out of the lot. I've got 14 more birds, and with the exception of him, all are peppy and very active. My flower beds along the house have been dug into trenches where they dust bathe and wallow in my marigolds, and I love watching them jockey over the sunniest spots.

Heh heh heh. Ralph. That's why I don't want guineas. Besides the NOISE.
lau.gif

Double Kindness:
ya.gif
Woohoo!

Plaid: When you eat that yummy chicken you will be amazed!

Ralph: Strike 3 on the guineas for me. I find them interesting but noise and insubordination (heehee) would drive me nuts. While I could use the exercise, I would not like spending all that time putting birds up.

I was wanting guineas next spring, but they sound like too big of drama queens to me now! I have heard from others that they can be pretty wild and crazy. Ralphie just reaffirmed it. I think you should try one, Ralphie! You might get that dark meat you're after.

An update on my meatballs: They are 3 1/2 weeks old. My biggest weighs around 2 pounds, but most of them are probably about 1.5 pounds. They are fast runners! I am thinking somebody needs to invent a Cornish Cross invisibility cloak! I need to be able to get out there with their food before they see me! As soon as they spot me, they all sprint over and then I can't take another step without squishing some chicken toes.

I gave the UPS guy a good laugh the other day. I snuck outside to hang up some laundry without the chickens seeing me. Just as I was going back in, they all spotted me and the race was on. Of course, the UPS guy pulled up just in time to catch me running as fast as I could back to the house so I could stay ahead of the parade of mini chickens running after me. He asked me what kind of chickens they were. When I told him Cornish Cross, he couldn't believe it. He said he delivers to a huge Tyson plant and the guy there told him those chickens wouldn't move even if they had the opportunity to. He even took a video on his phone so he could show the manager at the plant!

Back
Top Bottom