First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

My EE roo had a mean spell, towards other roos, a couple months ago.

Is he your EE? The darker one? How old is he?

Ole is my EE, He is not a problem other than his constant womanizing. He may or may not be a EE. I call him an EE. You would have to ask EJB the whole story on him, he has had a multi-homed path to my house.

The news of the day is....(drum roll,,trumpet....etc)

I am making TOADS!!!

Bert has a semi-private covered pen with 3 Dixie Rainbows! As soon as I put the first rainbow in with Bert, He tried the direct method of seducing her. It failed. They are sharing the pen with my Slate Turkeys. They should get along fine. I will only have the turkeys in the pen for another month, I think.

The hens seem "lost" and unsure of what just happened to them. I tried to see if I had any other DP birds that I could put with Bert, but I do not have any that could hold his weight during love making. Besides I want to be sure I have Toads and not Salamanders this way I know what the cross will be.

I went and did my other chores and when I came back Bert was on top of a dog cage I had in the pen from when Ethel had chicks in it. He was acting pretty proud being 3 feet up in the air surveying his harem.

I lifted Bert to the ground and took the cage down and out of the pen. I think that will become Jail for Ed now. I could just see Bert jumping off the cage before I got to him to lift him down and breaking his legs! Ruining my chances for toads,,,

I see.. You put in "Chicken Wrangler".
I think you are right, the titles BYC gives us are connected to posts, starting threads, etc. After I post this, I am going to buy the membership. I think it is silly to buy something I can get for free, but the ads drive me crazy!

I think vague is the best way to go. I like to be vague when answering questions about poultry to my husband. "We are butchering ALL the turkeys, right?!" "Well, I'm not sure how many will hatch." Then the topic is on to hatching and I didn't have to lie...
MM I LOVE your line of reasoning there with the DH
cool.png

That's the nice thing about being on this thread, If my wife is not around to chastise me, there is always another woman willing to step in and do it for her.

I have 7 creamette eggs in the incubator, she can bond with all 7 of them..
ouch! So many things to say but others have already said it. Hope the creamettes do well!

Why is Ed being so mean?!
Sounds like a good plan for the coop.

I got my Sunbeam XL heating pad! I am excited to brood the meaties outside! They come in a week. I better get moving...
These heating pads are so great! I have 8 little Mistral Gris meaties sitting happily on top of one of mine right now. Making that 'I'm warm and my tummy is full and I'm going to sleep now twitter'

the news of the day is....(drum roll,,trumpet....etc)

I am making TOADS!!!

Toads not salamanders eh? excellent! Bert should be a very happy roo! Lucky Bert
wink.png

[COLOR=333333]the news of the day is....(drum roll,,trumpet....etc)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I am making TOADS!!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Toads not salamanders eh? excellent! Bert should be a very happy roo! Lucky Bert ;) [/COLOR]

[/quote]

That's great news, Turkeytruff!!

And the heating pad thing is so cool, MM & TT! I have a large Sweeter Heater for brooding batches of 50-100, but will use the Sunbeam XL for smaller broodies hatched without a hen. Of course, my husband loves his heating pad like Ralphie's DW loves her iPhone! So hopefully his shoulder isn't acting up when I need it, LOL

[COLOR=333333]the news of the day is....(drum roll,,trumpet....etc)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I am making TOADS!!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Toads not salamanders eh? excellent! Bert should be a very happy roo! Lucky Bert
wink.png
[/COLOR]

That's great news, Turkeytruff!!

And the heating pad thing is so cool, MM & TT! I have a large Sweeter Heater for brooding batches of 50-100, but will use the Sunbeam XL for smaller broodies hatched without a hen. Of course, my husband loves his heating pad like Ralphie's DW loves her iPhone! So hopefully his shoulder isn't acting up when I need it, LOL[/QUOTE]
Bahahahaha. Dandelioness, Bite the bullet and buy another for him. Mine wore out and I bought an XL for the broody but I don't have it yet so I'm using it on my bed. Gonna buy another. It works so gooooood.
tongue2.gif

I love that toads are on the horizon!!

Linda, it's so nice to see you here again!

UPDATE:

We almost have the nesting boxes nearly complete in the chicken tractor. They are so awesome!! I can't wait to do the video to show you all how they work!

We reached an awesome milestone with the group of pullets that we brought home from the farm. 60 of them are laying now! Well, maybe more but today, I got 60 beautiful eggs from them!

The chicks turned 7 weeks this week! They are so big. It seems like they are at least half size. They are lovely!

We did complete the round 2 dusting of the hens. They all seem to be doing great now. Phew!

Great news on your pullets Jessica...

Explain the heating pad thing to me. You just use a regular heating pad? How do you cover it? Don't you worry about over heating?

I am not sure I will be able to get the heating pad from her based on her completely illogical and the ridiculous way she holds onto her IPhone.

I'm not Jessica, but this is what you need: Sunbeam XpressHeat. The feature this pad has that all the others are lacking is an over ride switch for the 2 Hour Auto Off feature. It also has multiple heat settings that go very low. Works good as a seed starting mat, also! No more risk of overheating, and certainly less, when you think of it than a brooder lamp.

My chicks will be going out into the coop under a 12 x 24 pad as soon as they're settled from the bator a bit. (I want to keep them inside until they're all eating and drinking before kicking them out doors.)

You build them a little cave out of wire mesh or similar material, lay the heating pad over with maybe some hay all around and monitor the temp before setting the chicks in there. You would have feed and water outside of it so they go in & out of the cave like hen-raised chicks would, and they go in the cave to sleep or warm up.

Turkeytruff posted a thread about it for me several pages back with different modifications.

Great news on your pullets Jessica...

Explain the heating pad thing to me. You just use a regular heating pad? How do you cover it? Don't you worry about over heating?

I am not sure I will be able to get the heating pad from her based on her completely illogical and the ridiculous way she holds onto her IPhone.
This is the best explanation. I'll never go back. I have my Sunbeam bought, just waiting for the chicks to finish it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

Back
Top Bottom