First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Thanks, Mine never did start laying, they died at about 28 weeks.

BUT I have read those that cross that 18-20 week mark in the winter may never lay.
I think Sunny laid her first egg around 20 weeks but I'd have to go back through the threads to confirm that. However, she only laid about a dozen and then stopped. She is 37 weeks old now. I'm not sure if it has do do with her August birthday or if that is just all the eggs she has.

Just checking in - I haven't even had time to thoroughly read the threads lately! But I love the busy-ness of spring.

Condolences to DK, Turkeytruff and Jessica. If I missed someone, my apologies. Old birds die, young birds have a certain mortality rate to expect, but it is still very sad when it happens. :(

My CXs come in about a month. I have CX envy (and combine envy!) when I can read here.

A funny thing happened last week - my niece pm'd me asking if I'd like all the unclaimed chicks her daughter's classroom will be hatching out - they are setting the eggs this week. The teacher has =no idea= what kind of eggs are being set!! Some of the kids are getting permission slips signed by parents to bring the chickens home as pets. Will they be CXs? Battery leghorns? I said I'd take them if nobody minded if some got eaten. She laughed and said her daughter knew we'd probably eat most of them - ha! I may sell them when older if I don't care for the breed.

Am I just a control freak for thinking that if I were in an urban setting where number of chickens is restricted, I'd be researching breeds and NOT taking random birds home?? In my case, I have the experience and infrastructure to be able to watch them grow out, maybe do some IDing, figure out what to do with roos, keep, process or sell the rest. I know they're just chicks, but I feel bad for those classroom chicks. Kind of makes me think of the Easter chicks and bunnies that wind up dead from cold or in shelters because of impulse buying. I'm hoping the parents are getting care instructions at the least.

Just checking in - I haven't even had time to thoroughly read the threads lately! But I love the busy-ness of spring.

Condolences to DK, Turkeytruff and Jessica. If I missed someone, my apologies. Old birds die, young birds have a certain mortality rate to expect, but it is still very sad when it happens.
sad.png

My CXs come in about a month. I have CX envy (and combine envy!) when I can read here.

A funny thing happened last week - my niece pm'd me asking if I'd like all the unclaimed chicks her daughter's classroom will be hatching out - they are setting the eggs this week. The teacher has =no idea= what kind of eggs are being set!! Some of the kids are getting permission slips signed by parents to bring the chickens home as pets. Will they be CXs? Battery leghorns? I said I'd take them if nobody minded if some got eaten. She laughed and said her daughter knew we'd probably eat most of them - ha! I may sell them when older if I don't care for the breed.

Am I just a control freak for thinking that if I were in an urban setting where number of chickens is restricted, I'd be researching breeds and NOT taking random birds home?? In my case, I have the experience and infrastructure to be able to watch them grow out, maybe do some IDing, figure out what to do with roos, keep, process or sell the rest. I know they're just chicks, but I feel bad for those classroom chicks. Kind of makes me think of the Easter chicks and bunnies that wind up dead from cold or in shelters because of impulse buying. I'm hoping the parents are getting care instructions at the least.

Can you provide a quick one pager with a link to back yard chickens to the chicks that are going home? Perhaps if your niece brings it to the teacher in question she would appreciate the input from someone with experience.

Back
Top Bottom