First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Last time I processed, I cut the birds up to save freezer space and just used gallon bags with twist ties. Double bagged, and put paper towels over any bony prominences that would pierce the plastic. Granted, it would have been better to vac. seal or shrink wrap, but I was too lazy to order anything special. Bought a pressure canner last fall, and plan to can the legs, thighs and breasts boneless in pint jars. Then, cook down the bones, save the meat from them, and freeze that up separate. The last bag of chicken that I cooked was the BEST chicken I've ever eaten in my life.

Last time I processed, I cut the birds up to save freezer space and just used gallon bags with twist ties. Double bagged, and put paper towels over any bony prominences that would pierce the plastic. Granted, it would have been better to vac. seal or shrink wrap, but I was too lazy to order anything special. Bought a pressure canner last fall, and plan to can the legs, thighs and breasts boneless in pint jars. Then, cook down the bones, save the meat from them, and freeze that up separate. The last bag of chicken that I cooked was the BEST chicken I've ever eaten in my life.
Lazy?? Haha! I thought I was being lazy by just shrink wrapping all of my birds whole. I would think cutting up a bunch of birds is a lot more work than what I did.

Ok ok ok. All my meatballs are at freezer camp. I didn't weigh them but lets see if I can upload pictures

How do ya'lls think I did?

Double Kindness -- They look fantastic! Congrats.

Jessica and Ralphie -- The shrink wrap bags look cool. How the shrink down process work?

Last edited:
My bf is loving the taste of the cx meaties so much he wants me to do another batch.

My bf also just planted 28 tomato plants outside. Good thing I got a call from the farmers market people today for the cherry creek farmers market to have a booth there to sell my extra produce, eggs and soon I'm adding goats. Dwarf nigerian milk does to be exact, because that's what code enforcement said I can have.. which btw. .

The neighbor that used to be friends with us for 6+ years now has taken to calling code enforcement, and CE and I have become friends. :) but the renting neighbor needs to move now. My drake Elvis died of suspicious circumstances last week, I was screaming in the backyard while he died. I'm sure everyone heard me. Neighbor hasn't been home since that night.

Neighbors have said to me that he's changed lately and has been seen screaming at people for no reason.

Consensus is, he needs to move. Immediately.

Double Kindness -- They look fantastic! Congrats.

Jessica and Ralphie -- The shrink wrap bags look cool. How the shrink down process work?

You put the bird in the bag,,

tie a twisty tie thingy machjig around a straw poking through the hole end of the bag...
Put the bag with chicken in hot water. If I recall 180 degrees the bag shrinks, air comes out straw, you tighten knot doohickey and pull out straw and you are done.. Do not leave in water long.,just dunk and pull it out or things break and it gets ugly....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom