First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

It is amazing. What's scary is that current genetic studies indicate that they have in no way close met the growth potential that is possible. IT'S chicken genome race!!

Seriously? I bet Ole Frank Purdue is just itching to unlock that mystery. Where is that info?

I will see if I can find the specific article on line in a by.I ran across it when I was satisfying an OCD moment on chicken genetics.lol the article stated that all of broiler breeders are investing heavily in genomic research

Ok ok ok. All my meatballs are at freezer camp. I didn't weigh them but lets see if I can upload pictures

How do ya'lls think I did?
Honey, you did great!!! How are you feeling? Better I hope. I'm late on this. I've been busy getting rid of my chickens. WHAT? You guys heard me. Gave them all away. Even the Blosl and XW White Rocks. Summer heat is too bad and I want to visit Jenny in Vancouver WA this Sept. She wants me to stay several months not weeks. And I'm doing it. Woohoo!!

I really got tired of having to depend on people to come and bail me out when I have trouble and the snake the other day was the straw that made my decision. I'm taking off the rest of the year and will reorder some about Feb. I'm not doing any more breeding. Tired of it and it's too hot to fool with 4 coops. So the last hen and two newborns will go tomorrow. The rest were picked up by two friends yesterday. One of them got my big coop too. I didn't sell a thing. It's a hobby and I am treating it as such. Jennifer has my Blosl rooster and two XW hens and will hatch me whatever I want. But I think I want to go smaller this time. Maybe Australorps. My handyman George took the two smaller coops in trade for building me two 4' x 8' raised beds 24" tall. That's what I want to do. I still have time to get some veggies growing before my trip. I need to buy a freezer. I kept the new coop that is featured in my interview

The reason I have only 3 left is because one of the hens ran like a turkey and got away. I locked her up last night. And the eggs that were unhatched were taken out of the 'bator and put on the kitchen counter. AJ told me "I hear chirping" Sure enough two of them were making noises and I stuck them back in the incubator. Both hatched last night. They sit out almost an hour before they started making noise. Love it. Taking them to Jennifer tomorrow.

Podgal, i tried to backtrack some of my searches and got hopelessly distracted. Lol. I remember i was looking into double muscling in poultry,which led to genomic studies, which led to......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Consider my interest piqued. OCD works for me too. I'm sure the limiting factor is keeping the birds alive while building muscle. I'll let you know if I find something.

Well tomorrow is the day to send some meaties to freezer camp I hate this part they are sweet birds but 1 male 9 weeks is so big looks like a turkey with a chicken head he was huffing and puffing when he walks we had heat wave of 80 this will be the first time doing it.

Last edited:
Well tomorrow is the day to send some meaties to freezer camp I hate this part they are sweet birds but 1 male 9 weeks is so big looks like a turkey with a chicken head he was huffing and puffing when he walks we had heat wave of 80 this will be the first time doing it.

Grats, if you can save a few for another month or so, you will be amazed at the quantity and quality of the meat you get in those last 4 weeks. I would not keep the huffer and puffer.

Honey, you did great!!! How are you feeling? Better I hope. I'm late on this. I've been busy getting rid of my chickens. WHAT? You guys heard me. Gave them all away. Even the Blosl and XW White Rocks. Summer heat is too bad and I want to visit Jenny in Vancouver WA this Sept. She wants me to stay several months not weeks. And I'm doing it. Woohoo!!

I really got tired of having to depend on people to come and bail me out when I have trouble and the snake the other day was the straw that made my decision. I'm taking off the rest of the year and will reorder some about Feb. I'm not doing any more breeding. Tired of it and it's too hot to fool with 4 coops. So the last hen and two newborns will go tomorrow. The rest were picked up by two friends yesterday. One of them got my big coop too. I didn't sell a thing. It's a hobby and I am treating it as such. Jennifer has my Blosl rooster and two XW hens and will hatch me whatever I want. But I think I want to go smaller this time. Maybe Australorps. My handyman George took the two smaller coops in trade for building me two 4' x 8' raised beds 24" tall. That's what I want to do. I still have time to get some veggies growing before my trip. I need to buy a freezer. I kept the new coop that is featured in my interview

The reason I have only 3 left is because one of the hens ran like a turkey and got away. I locked her up last night. And the eggs that were unhatched were taken out of the 'bator and put on the kitchen counter. AJ told me "I hear chirping" Sure enough two of them were making noises and I stuck them back in the incubator. Both hatched last night. They sit out almost an hour before they started making noise. Love it. Taking them to Jennifer tomorrow.

I am sorry you need to give up on chickens right now, but one must do what they must.

I know I will have to cut back or change in a few years. I have a feeling as soon as my Wife retires I will have to get rid of all of mine too, as she wants to travel some, Whereas. I just want to sit home raise chickens, fish and drink.......... I might miss her when the house gets messy.

I cannot see anyway I will sell JJ and Ethel, but it could happen, I guess.

Yesterday was a great day! Last year I bought an old Ford hay baler that looked in great shape. Sheet metal was solid and you could tell it was barn kept. Well when I first tried to use it one of the knotters was not working properly.
Ok this is where the language of a sailor came out of me. If anyone on here bales hay you know the feeling when the most important thing your machine must do doesn't do it! Tie a **** knott!!!!!
To make a long story short, over last year and messing with it this first cutting I figured out someone had replaced a part (sweeper arm) with an aftermarket part. Well this part was just not the right fit. So it took me about 2 weeks to find a salvage yard for farm equipment in PA that had the same baler. I sent them payment of my left arm and right .... Well we will just say it wasn't a cheap part seeings how they were the only ones that had the part and new it!!
I got the part cleaned it up put my baler back together timed it. I ran it yesterday and the thing ran flawless!!!!!! You are reading a post from a very very happy guy!!!
All I can say is CHEERS.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom