First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Another thing I noticed with the slow broilers.They will plop down wherever the feed is and gorge,this wouldn't bother me if they had the growth to match the feed consumption. I also had one male with a bad hip.I think he hurt himself running from the geese or the other older roosters. The hearts,lungs and other internals all looked healthy.
They just DON'T stand up to a CX.
The first thing I noticed about CX were the massive size of the legs on the chicks. I was all ways told a puppy with huge paws made a big dog.
I'm THINKING this holds true with chickens too.lol

The body confirmation of the Slow Grow Broilers looks just like the 1978 model.

This may be a stupid question,but I assure you it's NOT my first.
1f61c.png

has anyone tried cutting down on the protein. of the CX and substituting something with bulk but little nutritional value? give them something to munch,not their fault they are all ways hungry

1f61c.png

has anyone tried cutting down on the protein. of the CX and substituting something with bulk but little nutritional value? give them something to munch,not their fault they are all ways hungry

Actually I do that. I feed them 15-16% grower after first week. The guy in the feed store told me I was going to lose my birds, they would be weak and small if I did not buy them 22-23% or more.

He is wrong, I told him I had raised 3 batches on 15% protein and had always had better than 10 pound dressed birds at 13 weeks. He said that was impossible they did not live that long. I told him I had a year old at home and he looked at me like I was crazy..

Such is the way of the world. I figure 15% is good enough and they can chase bugs for the rest!

1f61c.png

About a third to a half of my CX's diet is a combination of sprouted grains (barley, wheat and sunflower seeds) and old garden produce. I kind of throw it around their yard to provide "forage" since I live in a semi-desert and I can't do all that cool pasture raised stuff. I had not thought about the protein angle. I just give it to the birds because it's so much cheaper then store feed and gives then something less calorie dense to eat.

1f61c.png

I've given then chick starter since I got them now they are at 9 weeks they all
Look healthy to me they are filthy from the mud though all this ****** rain..

So the guy who paid for 5 of my Cornish crosses (before I even got them) was suppose to pick them up at 8 weeks old they are two days shy of 10 weeks old and they are still here my mother in law said he's probably forgot about them by now.. Any ideas what I should do with them.. They are already sold but here should I sale them to someone else or?

Back
Top Bottom