First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Can anyone tell if these guys are the right size they are 11 weeks I'm down to ten but they seem energetic and fast growers they even seem like they have cool personalities one gets out every other hour

All Cx's have great personalities...

The seem a tad on the small size, but that is good. they live longer.

The only way to tell is weigh them, to make sure they are on track.

Are those the slow growers you talked about?

All Cx's have great personalities...

The seem a tad on the small size, but that is good. they live longer.

The only way to tell is weigh them, to make sure they are on track.

Are those the slow growers you talked about?

No these are cx or suppose to be I feed them normal chick starter till last week then layer feed not meatie feed

I grew up on Dixie Drive which was one road past Rebel which was off of Texla road all located in VIDOR,TEXAS.
I've since move to Mauriceville,had to put running water in between me and that bunch.

I still have 9 cx meaties waddling around the backyard and a bunch of what I think are black jersey giants or black astralorp started crowing 2 days ago! :eek:

It is bone bitingly cold here in Colorado.
It's almost time to herd all the feather babies into their coops and feed the bunnies.

This is the Cx slow grow cockrel I kept back. The picture does not do his size justice

Handsome boy!

All my meaties are finally gone. The last 8, we used to make sausage and then we boiled all the bones down and picked the bones totally clean and canned that meat for the dogs (it was pretty low-quality meat at the end). We ended up with 45 lbs of sausage (15 lbs each of breakfast, Italian Mild and Italian Hot), plus 7 lbs. of meat for canning dog food. We froze the necks and feet for stock later on and the livers for pate. The other innards went to the dogs. With all the sausage making, the last 8 was a ton of processing work, but it is satisfying to see all the sausage in the freezer and cans of meat in the pantry and to know that none of the birds were wasted.

Letting the last 8 birds go so long, made it a really emotional butchering day. The became more individual to us and we had starting calling one "spots" as it was the chick that had black spots then turned into black feathers as he matured. He was a gorgeous rooster and was the last chicken we processed. We both had tears in our eyes at the end. Usually at the end of the day, I'm relieved to be done, but that night I just felt incredibly sad. It really kind of hit me that those birds were gone, and there was no going back on that. I know they had a good life and a long life for a meat bird, so that helps.

Back
Top Bottom