First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Good Luck you guys with your weather! I have Toad pictures! Nice birds, I have put them back on free will feed. They do not seem to eat or gain like CX's, even though they are 3/4 CX's. The breasts are smaller, that maybe genetics or my having withheld feed. The thighs and legs appear larger than CX's and they are taller. I am hoping this is the bird I want for the future.
Ralph,do you remember how old your birds were in this picture? I'd rather have more dark meat on a bird.

Ralph,do you remember how old your birds were in this picture? I'd rather have more dark meat on a bird.

The oldest was about 2 weeks, the youngest about a week . They are growing fast, I have them outside the youngest went outside at 3 weeks. they are outside 24/7 and will be from now on. I was worried about them the other day as it was rainy and cold. I picked one up that was too stupid to go into their "broody box home".

He was like a true CX in that his body was hot! I showed them to some people yesterday, they were amazed I got CX's to breed and even more amazed I made a bird with so much dark meat on it.

I would like to eat one this year but unless I have 3 roosters that is not going to happen. I did hatch out 3 more of these yesterday though. I am still not happy with the hatch rate, I am only getting about 35% hatch rate on them.

Even when I get them into the hatcher only a 60% or so hatch the other die trying to or just never pip.

I will get a picture of that bird today, he is a good looking bird now his feathers have come in some.

Last edited:
Ive seen hints of gray colored birds using the barred rocks in my mad experiments.To date this is the only one with these colors. Its exactly 7 days old today

Back
Top Bottom