First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Well yesterday was the day and all went well!!
We took our birds into be butchered and was good. we goto an gov't inspected facility and inspector was good with the way we transported flock.
Couple notes
-transport must be right size, and birds must be snuggish, too much room and they will roll around and become quite the mess
-air flow a must, inspector gave another grower a warning not to use his utility trailer too much room and not enough airflow, the birds came out looking like they had been in a dryer full of mud and a little wobbly :(

So that was transport, we actually travelled over two hours and birds looked good, it was early and cool morning, we did keep them covered so that they were a bit calmer, with a tarp.

I think we were light as follows
-we grew 25 Cornish rock giants, none lost and all passed inspection
-we had them 8 weeks
-average bird weight 4.25 lbs
-smallest 3.22 and largest 5.2 lbs
-estimated feed conversion, 3.3lbs food per pound of bird, seems high
-estimated cost per lb was 3.75 cdn

that was our first try at these birds, all in all was a positive go!!!

Any thoughts out there ????
nicely done! It's kind of amazing how these birds convert feed into meat. I'll have some numbers to share in the next couple of weeks.

They are 8 weeks old now with an average weight of 1.82kg.
So I think they will be ready in about 4 weeks.

I'm keeping all 4 pullets but starting to narrow down which 2 cockerels I will keep back as breeders.

I mark mine with a band during the year. The ones that get the furthest from the coop win the lottery to breed. I figure in "broiler world" ambition is wandering. the further you wander, the more ambitious and better health you have. Use different color bands so you can keep them straight as to who went how far. It will change during the year and you will have to take someone's band away. It is like your own little survival Island.

No no they still alive
1f600.png

that's there weight on Wednesday when I weight them.

Back
Top Bottom