First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

white cornish is the C in CX , but good luck finding one.. white rock is rumored to be another in CX mix
white cornish is supposed to be meatier than the dark, but the dark still has the big breast compared to other heritage
white rock is supposed to be meatier than the barred rock, both have the cx body style w/- the breast .. none have the cx growth rate
FAT DADDY HAS PUREBRED WHITE CORNISH AND PURE DARK CORNISH.
GUINEVERE

BAM BAM'S SON BART

BAM BAM & GUINEVERE

BAM BAM'S SON BLACK SPUR

BAM'S SON FLOPPY

MARION

BAM BAM

BAM BAM AND THE GIRLS IN QUARANTINE, JUNE 20, 2015

PURE DARK CORNISH PULLET, I can't say if they are less meaty. Mine are plenty meaty. I would have to see a white cornish skinned.

Does anyone keep track of how much money they spend a year on this stuff?

If I enjoy it.... I make a point to never actually do the math and count the money! That's ok as long as I have a day job.... Iv had several hobbies that tried to work themselves in to businesses.... Iv always found when I start think'n about making a profit. It sucks most of the fun out and I just have a second job!

Are you seeing a lot of difference in life span and mobility when crossing a CX back to a dark cornish?

I have to admit I am not real familiar with the dark cornish, (like not at all) is it simply a dark cornish rock? So you are bringing in one of the smaller parent stock to the CX to help relieve the stuff they did to them in the engineering of ther CX?
In a nutshell, yes they live longer.
Betty was hatched 2/6/15 so she is a two year old CX. She lays 83g eggs 3-4 per week.

Crossing a slower growing very meaty bird with a faster growing super meaty bird gives me a sustainable middle ground bird. They are very pretty when the 50%DC-50%CX are crossed back to Pure DC.

Dave I agree with JR, those birds are awesome! If we can get those here I don't know where!

This looks old, but the website is still up:

http://www.watkinspoultry.com/the-sasso-chicken/

In 2008 Watkins Poultry Merchants of New York teamed up with the France-based SASSO poultry breeding company to bring a new type of chicken to the United States. Our goal was to find a hardy chicken that would appeal to many people because of its distinct coloring and wide-range of culinary use. Now, Watkins Poultry Merchants is the only provider of the SASSO Red Chicken on the East Coast.

SASSO has been committed to maintaining traditional practices in poultry production which keep the quality of meat high, whereas other companies have sacrificed these traditions. SASSO breeds slow-growing chickens that are meant to be raised with fresh air, plenty of space to run around, and an all-vegetarian diet- the exact life provided to all Watkins Poultry Merchants’ birds. From June to November, we specially raise a small flock of the SASSO Red Chicken free range on the Helfrich-Gross family farm.
The SASSO Red Chicken is unlike any chicken stores or restaurants because it is naturally delicious and juicy. The taste is rich and succulent, from the wings and thighs to the breast meat, and will stay juicy long after cooking. The SASSO requires minimal preparation for a meal that won’t soon be forgotten.
Watkins Poultry Merchants of New York is the sole provider of the SASSO Red Chicken to live poultry markets in New York City and nearby areas. Send your zip code to [email protected] and we will recommend a vendor in your area.

140 Alabama Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11207 • Phone: 718-345-8600 | Fax: 718-228-5608 or 718-345-4994
Cobb-Vantress Inc. PO Box 1030, Siloam Springs Arkansas 72761, US Tel: +1 479 524 3166 Email: [email protected]
file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/Cobb_Sasso150_Sales_Brochure%20(1).pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom