First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

@holm25 20170712_170354-1.jpg here is one

There is a ton of misinformation put out about the CX.

nah, i mean genetically 2nd gen of CX will be "okay'...??

It means that if you buy 100 CX from somewhere, they will all be pretty much identical, they will all finish out about the same weight, the same body shape, same color, etc. If you breed 2 CX, you will start getting variety, some big ones, some small ones, some color will probably show up. Stuff like that. It would also be very hard to try that due to the CX being fragile and being very hard to keep alive long enough to breed.

It means that if you buy 100 CX from somewhere, they will all be pretty much identical, they will all finish out about the same weight, the same body shape, same color, etc. If you breed 2 CX, you will start getting variety, some big ones, some small ones, some color will probably show up. Stuff like that. It would also be very hard to try that due to the CX being fragile and being very hard to keep alive long enough to breed.
As JRNash says, there's a lot of cx misinformation. I've searched a while for cx breeding reports and keeping them past 8 weeks, which I know can be done with restricted feed and ranging. But I've only seen some articles and pages proving that they can be ranged and not smell/be lazy, but end being slaughtered. When people ask, they are met with "they all have heart attacks", "they're smelly and just eat to death", and "you CANNOT keep them past 8 weeks because it's better for the bird"

The truth is Cx can be restricted on feed from day one, no high protein stuff, and ranged with heritage breeds. A common misconception is that they will range with a typical run or tractor, but they really need a free range environment to thrive. Then you can breed them or keep them a while.

As JRNash says, there's a lot of cx misinformation. I've searched a while for cx breeding reports and keeping them past 8 weeks, which I know can be done with restricted feed and ranging. But I've only seen some articles and pages proving that they can be ranged and not smell/be lazy, but end being slaughtered. When people ask, they are met with "they all have heart attacks", "they're smelly and just eat to death", and "you CANNOT keep them past 8 weeks because it's better for the bird"

The truth is Cx can be restricted on feed from day one, no high protein stuff, and ranged with heritage breeds. A common misconception is that they will range with a typical run or tractor, but they really need a free range environment to thrive. Then you can breed them or keep them a while.
I have seen proof IN THIS THREAD that shows that the CX is more fragile than other birds, even when being raised correctly. A few people on this thread tried to raise them to breeding age and ended up losing a good number of them by breeding age. Ralfie only has a handful of Toads due to the CX being hard to raise and breeders dropping dead earlier than expected. He's only been working on Toads for less than 10 years and has already gone through 3 (I believe) Berts and hasn't processed one just for the heck of it yet, they have died of CX related complications.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but they are MORE FRAGILE than other chickens. No one can debate that they are MORE FRAGILE than other chickens due to all of the special care that goes into restricting the feed like crazy and them REQUIRING free range to be able to live to breeding age comfortably.

Not sure how/why you guys keep argueing with me about this when I am not saying that they are fat, lazy, dirty birds. I AM saying that due to their "Frankenbird" genetics, that they are more fragile and prone to issues like broken legs, bumblefoot, heart issues, etc.

Back
Top Bottom