"First Saturday" lime/barn lime vs. regular crushed lime/garden lime

Brittcarp

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
Hello! First post, and I did search around the forum a bit, but didn't find my exact question.

I would like to try lime in my chicken run to help with flies, moisture control, and odor. My TSC is not conveniently located, and I'd to get it ASAP. Is regular garden lime from Lowe's or Home Depot safe to use? Looking at something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Timberline...n-Lime-40-lb-Organic-Lime-PH-Balancer/3058417

Any other advice to help with flies other than the basics of keeping the run dry, free of leftover foods etc. also welcome! DE is not working.

Thank you!

You need regular old cheap barn lime. We use it here. Works well.

You need to keep things dry and clean. Most flies need manure to reproduce in. Another option is those stink fly jars. They work pretty well, but get nasty.

You need regular old cheap barn lime. We use it here. Works well.

You need to keep things dry and clean. Most flies need manure to reproduce in. Another option is those stink fly jars. They work pretty well, but get nasty.
Looking for something I can purchase at Home Depot/Lowe's/Walmart, ideally. My nearest ag store is a journey I reserve for special occasions. Barn lime probably wouldn't be at those places, correct?

Thank you!

Looking for something I can purchase at Home Depot/Lowe's/Walmart, ideally. My nearest ag store is a journey I reserve for special occasions. Barn lime probably wouldn't be at those places, correct?

Thank you!
I know you can find it at most feed stores. I don't think those stores you mentioned carry it.

We use on our poop boards and when we clean out the coop before adding bedding. We don't routinely use it in the run. That we deep litter.

It is worth a trip, especially if you stock up. It can last a long while. I would not use regular garden lime. That's a different product that is used to change the ph and augment the soil. Not sure if it's harmful to chickens. Barn lime is used as a desiccant to dry out areas, and to kill microscopic critters like coccidia, and things like fly larve.

Hello! First post, and I did search around the forum a bit, but didn't find my exact question.

I would like to try lime in my chicken run to help with flies, moisture control, and odor. My TSC is not conveniently located, and I'd to get it ASAP. Is regular garden lime from Lowe's or Home Depot safe to use? Looking at something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Timberline...n-Lime-40-lb-Organic-Lime-PH-Balancer/3058417

Any other advice to help with flies other than the basics of keeping the run dry, free of leftover foods etc. also welcome! DE is not working.

Thank you!
I have been spreading barn lime from tractor supply under shavings for a few years now. I no longer have flies or odors. I’m trying to find out if it also affects mites. I don’t seem to have any

Back
Top Bottom